Hi do virgin mobile users get charged for sending emojis as a picture message
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: emojis

Hi GemmaOx,

I think that is dependant on how your device handles it.

If a message containing emojis is sent as an MMS (picture message) then yes you will be charged, 40p I believe.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
GemmaOx
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alex I was told that when you send a text message including an emoji you were charged for sending a picture message not a text just wondering if there was any truth in it 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi GemmaOx,

as I said in my first reply, it is dependant upon the mobile phone that you are using to send emoji from. The way that device handles it.

Some phones do send emoji as SMS (text) but others will convert a message containing emoji to MMS (picture message).

If your phone does this it may warn you that it is doing so or you might be able to prevent it in the phone's settings.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It depends if the emoji is part of the "standard" set such as a basic smile or frown - these are sent as a series of two or three characters and are rebuilt into an image by the recipient's phone, or displayed as : - ) (or whatever) if the recipient has the feature turned off.

If a nonstandard emoticon is sent, the binary data that makes up the image needs to be transmitted, so the file is sent as MMS and shows on your bill as a picture message.

0 Kudos