Menu
mikelawre
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

emergency alerts

My first question must be – why can I not email Virgin directly with a question specific to my account? Why do you think a forum would answer me better about an issue YOU have with YOUR local provider in Moscow??? But I suppose the answer is cost……

Here is my second question….

I recently moved my Virgin sim to a new phone. The old phone didn’t do all the modern stuff, but the new one does.

However, where I am at the moment, in Moscow, with the new phone I get continuous Emergency Alerts all day. Most was 65 in 30 minutes – night and day.

Even turning off all the emergency alert services through settings/more/emergency broadcast does not last because it seems the sender of the emergency alerts has a way of turning them back on again!

I also force stop on the app Emergency Alerts through apps/running and apps/all including clear data. But they also get turned back on.

You may say that this is my version of Android (5.0.2) or my phone (Moto G 2nd Gen) but it is a dual sim phone and I am running a Beeline sim alongside the Virgin sim. When I disable the Virgin sim, there are no Emergency Alerts, and the App stays off and my alert settings stay unchanged and off.

So the issue is the Virgin sim – or more precisely your service provider in Moscow who is allowing someone to send advertisements via the emergency alert system. (The issue that the idiots doing so are sending a Russian language advertisement via a system that does not recognise the character set and displays rubbish does not seem to have occurred to them. Since I cannot understand the garbled rubbish displayed, I could not take advantage of whatever they are offering).

So my short term solution is to turn off my Virgin sim. However, this does not help with communication for my children, wife and other people that try to call me.

My medium term solution is to go back to my old phone, but this means carrying two, which is what I was trying to avoid in buying a dual sim phone.

My long term solution is where you come in – please tell your local provider that the emergency alert service was not designed to send out advertisements and should not be used to change the settings on a phone.

I am sure I cannot be the only UK customer with this issue. Unfortunately I will be in Moscow for another 9 months, so will have more experience than the usual short term UK visitor who can just shrug and put up with it.

Many thanks for your potential help – did I mention that the sound level of these alerts is not adjustable and is VERY LOUD, going off during meetings and at night……..

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: emergency alerts

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about these alerts you keep getting. It sounds very annoying to say the least.

To answer your first question all contact methods we use are located here. Really appreciate the frustration of not being able to email us. When we've used an email address in the past it was often abused which resulted in delays for genuine customer queries like yours. The forum can be at its best with circumstances such as yours where a community member may have previous experience with an issue we don't usually come across.

To answer your second question this is a new one on me if I'm honest. I'm afraid we wouldn't have any control over the local provider in Moscow to get these turned off. From what I understand the alerts would need to be turned off on the handset. I can see you've mentioned you've already tried to disable these alerts but I've located a guide on how to do this here. This is a third party website so I just need to advise you that you follow the instructions on here at your own risk although from what I've read on the site it's simply showing where to turn these alerts off on different devices. 

Hope this helps.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
mikelawre
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Stephen,

Unfortunately I have already tried your suggestions from the hyperlink. The issue is that I have done all of those, including Force Stopping the Emergency Alert app. But these keep getting turned back on (and the alerts settings). This does not happen when the Virgin sim is turned off. So your MTS supplier here in Moscow is allowing someone to send apps via a system not supposed to be used. You say you can do nothing to stop this. Why not transfer to Beeline - whose sim I am using satisfactorily at the moment without any alerts. Surely if a company does something that annoys your customers, you should do something to rectify the situation - your SLA with MTS should cover unacceptable behaviour by them. I am sure Beeline would be delighted to provide a service to Virgin - it is a very competitive market here - and I would not have to put my sim into an old phone to avoid an alert EVERY TWO MINUTES ALL DAY AT A VERY NOISY VOLUME.

So what are you going to do?

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Mike.

I completely understand your frustration here. I'm afraid there's nothing that we can do in this scenario.

As you're roaming, the notifications are coming from our Russian roaming partner. We have no control over the network as they're a 3rd part and not a Virgin network. I understand that this puts you in a very frustrating scenario for the duration of your stay but it's not possible for us to make any changes. I'm very sorry about this.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
pssw08104
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had a problem with emergency alerts and my only solution that worked was to download Titanium Backup and use that to freeze the alerts, though you need to root the phone first.
0 Kudos
mikelawre
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not up to that technical level. I would have expected Virgin to at least talk to MTS the local provider and explain the situation. Otherwise what is the use of Virgin when roaming somewhere that allows this to happen? Obviously Virgin are not big enough for MTS to bother worrying about how Virgin customers are treated. Perhaps I should move to a bigger provider in the UK.

Cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I can understand your frustration here Mike.

I can assure you that any provider that has issues with a partner network is very limited in support that can be offered. We would need a lot of examples from different customers before passing this over.

I'm sorry that we couldn't do more to get this fixed.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos