Menu
kellywright79
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

data

I took a contract out after being pay as you go for 17 years with virgin but my tariff seems to be pretty crap, I only get 250mb which I have now discovered I use in 5 days even though I don't use my phone that much to go on the net! is it possible to customise tariffs as I get 250 minutes which I will never use in a month and would prefer more data without having to take out another tariff and pay more every month?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Hooni
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: data

It can be quite easy to hit your 250mb data limit if you use your phone alot for uploading pictures, watching any kind of videos on Facebook Youtube etc so that is something you have to be careful with.

As far as i know, at one time you could increase or decrease individual things like mins/txts/data , but think that was quite a while ago.

no idea why they stopped doing that, whoever has been making all the decisions at VM the last few years is making pretty bad choices for us, the consumer  

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi kellywright79,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm afraid it's not possible to customise the tariff for extra data but keep the minutes low. You can take a look at our current tariff range to see if anything suits your needs.

You can change your tariff at any point via your online account. You could also try calling the team to see if there are any deals they could do for you. The number you need is 789 from a Virgin Mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone.

Hope this information helps.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
kellywright79
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's pretty disappointing I have to say as other mobile providers let you do that, I looked at the other tariffs but there all a lot more expensive when i'm paying £34 a month just for the handset, it's just not the greatest customer service that i'm now tied into this for 2 years

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you say you don't go on the net much I would be looking at how you manage to use 250Mb in five days. That would be mean to be on the safe side you would need around 2Gb per month. Whilst not high it is more than many people use.

I assume you are taking advantage of using WiFi were possible

0 Kudos
kellywright79
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i received a message from virgin after 5 days saying all the data had been used, I have now had to switch off my mobile data to ensure I don't run up a bill. at most over the 5 days I would say I was online maybe 30 minutes each day over the course of the day. it would just make more sense that for those of us that don't use all those minutes every month could perhaps be offered a more customised deal, last month I used 4 minutes out of the 250 so really more data would be better for me but to do that I have to pay for more minutes as well which just seems so pointless

0 Kudos
Hooni
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It can be quite easy to hit your 250mb data limit if you use your phone alot for uploading pictures, watching any kind of videos on Facebook Youtube etc so that is something you have to be careful with.

As far as i know, at one time you could increase or decrease individual things like mins/txts/data , but think that was quite a while ago.

no idea why they stopped doing that, whoever has been making all the decisions at VM the last few years is making pretty bad choices for us, the consumer  

0 Kudos
kellywright79
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree, people should be given the choice of what works best for them as its not a 'one size fits all'. to get more data I have to pay for more minutes which I don't need but that's literally the only option you are being given which seems very unfair to me. I did upload one photo over the 5 days but I really didn't think the data would go as quick as that. it feels like I've got to wait the 2 years till the handset is paid off before I can go with another provider who will actually offer a deal that's better for the customer, not for the mobile provider

0 Kudos
Hooni
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

certainly, i agree. be aware people sending you pictures will also eat into your data allowance, the same with if you use any kind of internet based messenger, whatsapp etc, i dont know if you have wifi or not, but if not all the use soon adds up im afraid and certainly watching any kind of videos via the internet can quickly use alot of data. 

0 Kudos