Menu
RichardJH
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

charged for picture messages

On 4g Virgin advertise by offering the following:-

"With free messaging on WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, using these apps won’t eat into your data on your new 4G plan – so you can save your monthly allowance for other fun stuff.

Wherever you’ve got data coverage in the UK, you can use WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger to message and share pictures or video with your nearest and dearest – even if they’re abroad."

If this is correct why then have I been charged picture messaging charges when using Facebook Messenger.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: charged for picture messages

Normally anything that goes via WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger is Internet Data, so usage is seen by Virgin Media as data only - not picture messages.

However you should check that Facebook Messenger hasn't been set to be your default SMS/MMS app, as this would mean that even though you were using it to send a picture, it might then be able to send it via a the MMS route, which would be chargeable. That's the only way I can see Facebook Messenger would generate Picture Message charges.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Richard_JH
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info sounds a bit confusing. Not sure what the Messenger settings are bearing in mind that FB Messenger only recently changed to allow SMS and mms
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is it the Android version you have?
https://betanews.com/2016/06/14/facebook-messenger-sms-mms/
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Richard_JH
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes that is the one I was using with the default SMS app selected
0 Kudos