Menu
arianefecteau
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

canadian iPhone

I will be moving from Canada next September for school.  One year.  I have an iPhone with Virgin Mobile here in Canada.  Do you know if my canadian phone will work in the UK ?  I plan on changing the SIM card to a UK one but wonder if my phone will work !!!  It uses the HSTA technology.

Thanks

Ariane

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: canadian iPhone

I assume you mean hspa? If so then yes, as you currently have no address or bank account you will be limited to a pre pay account.

Dont worry as the UK market is much different (receiving calls and text is free, national and local calls cost the same) you need to have (I suspect I'm trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs here) Viber, Whatsapp or similar, as calls to Canada are expensive, and free wifi is common here.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ariane,

is your phone unlocked?

Virgin Mobile UK is a separate company. If your phone is network locked you will need to get it unlocked before being able to use a Virgin Mobile UK SIM in it.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
arianefecteau
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I know I need to unlock it as it is network locked.  I know some european phones do not work here as the technology they use is different.  What techonology is used in the UK ?

Ariane

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I assume you mean hspa? If so then yes, as you currently have no address or bank account you will be limited to a pre pay account.

Dont worry as the UK market is much different (receiving calls and text is free, national and local calls cost the same) you need to have (I suspect I'm trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs here) Viber, Whatsapp or similar, as calls to Canada are expensive, and free wifi is common here.

0 Kudos
arianefecteau
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I checked with Virgin Canada and because I have a contract with them, I need to pay the remaining cost (465$can/ around 255 pounds) to be able to leave Canada with my phone as I need to put an end to my contract.

I will open an account with HSBC as I arrive so I will be able to take a 1 year contract with Virgin !  If it's worth it !

Ariane

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A nice try, but you need to pass a credit check, and without history you will fail. The costs are low here, so as much as it may seem a 2nd class service it's not and prices are comparable.