Menu
woodcutter
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

calls to this number are barred

Hi All,

Just started getting this message when calling my son's mobile (Plusnet mobile-formerly Life mobile), other people can call him though & I can also text him.

Checked his mobile & my number is not blocked, anyone have any ideas or experienced this before?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
BrianF49
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: calls to this number are barred

I have the same problem. I phoned 789 and was told that this is a known issue when trying to call numbers beginning 074, although texts will still work. They are apparently working to resolve it but could not provide a turnaround time.

All Replies
BrianF49
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have the same problem. I phoned 789 and was told that this is a known issue when trying to call numbers beginning 074, although texts will still work. They are apparently working to resolve it but could not provide a turnaround time.

woodcutter
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, it is a 074 number.
WI'll give then a call to see when its fixed.
0 Kudos
Ljones92998
Tuning in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hiya I'm having this same problem also with a 074 number which I've just ported from Life/Plus net mobile and have been told the same as above but cannot be given a time frame which is a pain as both mine and my husbands numbers are 074 and he's my main contact! I would be very careful as although you can still text the number staring 074 you will be being charged 15p each text, I have noticed this on my bill and my partners! I have been told they will reimburse me AFTER THEIR issue is resolved!
woodcutter
Tuning in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Spoke to 789 yesterday regarding a eta for fixing the issue & why i was getting charged for texting 0742 numbers when they told me to text that number until fixed. The guy on phone promised to refund me immediately ( which he didn't ) then proceeded to tell me he was resetting my network settings & in 30 mins I would be able to call 0742 numbers. Again that didn't happen either... oh why did I come back to virgin, been a nightmare since I rejoined in Oct. Will need to spend another 30 mins explaining it all again to another advisor. Was with EE previous 2 years & never needed to phone them once.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi woodcutter, 

There is an ongoing issue with the plus net / virgin numbers that begin with 074, and I am so sorry about the information you received from one of the agents. 

This issue has been raised to a priority 1 for us so we can get this resolved as soon as we possibly can, any charges that you are charged on your bill for texts or calls will be refunded to you, and I can do this for you if it hasn’t been done. 

The reason why this happened is a communication error between the plus net servers and our own. When a number is ported over to us, the originator will always be the owner of the number in this case plus net, if they have any issues with their servers it will have a knock on affect to anyone who has taken there number to another provider. 

Please let me know if your refunds haven’t been applied to your account and I will get this done for you, if it’s already been done then I hope my explanation into this issue helps or makes things a little bit clearer. 

Take care, 

Kelly 

elch
Hanging out
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Seems to be very mixed messages from both Virgin and Plusnet. From Plusnet's end, I've been in contact since Thursday and their advice has been to turn the phone off and on again and try re-inserting the sim. From their perspective, it's a Virgin issue, and are working hard to resolve it.

My relative who can no longer contact me is on Virgin, and apparently the agent immediately admitted it was a fault on their end, not Plusnet's fault. Utterly baffling how you can have issues for almost a week and still not be any closer to resolving anything or even knowing categorically what the issue is.

It's all been very convoluted, as in order for my relative on Virgin to contact me this week, she has to text first (adding 15p every time to her bill) just to let me know she wants me to call. Because the call doesn't even fully go through and bars her immediately, I have no idea when or if someone has actually called me. Why is it there's been no public statement if it's "priority 1" and why isn't there any indication of an issue in FAQ's, etc.? Understand completely Kelly that it's not your fault and that you're just representing Virgin, but can you give further detail as to why there's been so much ambiguity?

BrianF49
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kelly,

I'm in the same position as Woodcutter in that I am unable to make calls to an 07422 number, formerly Life Mobile now Plusnet. I'm afraid that I don't understand your explanation. I've been with Virgin for years and have not ported my number from anywhere. Up until last week I had been able to call the 07422 number for months without any problem and then calls were barred with no explanation. That number hasn't changed or been ported anywhere, the only change is that Plusnet have taken over Life mobile.

On the Plusnet forum one of their help team states that they are aware that Virgin has blocked numbers starting 074 due to fraud reasons and that they are in talks with Virgin to get this resolved. Further down this forum another of your customers says that they have been barred from calling a Co-op mobile number beginning 074, so the issue cannot be with Plusnet servers alone. It seems clear to me that the problem is one of Virgin's own making and it is disappointing that after a week no progress appears to have been made towards a solution. 

It is important to me that I am able to contact my grandson on his mobile number this weekend and text messages are no real substitute for a voice call. It seems that my only option will be to use a sim from any other service provider and I can then be sure I'll get through. Time to move on from Virgin I think.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hey @BrianF49

No I can advise it’s not due to fraud reasons, the issue is with the actual porting system its self, I don’t know the complete ins and outs of this but I can find out if you need a in-depth explanation to this, but what I do know is the version that was simplified for myself which is, when a number ports over to us or any network the originator of that number will always own it, any issues that can occur on the originators systems I.e. the system they use to port in and out it can cause numbers to appear blocked. 

What the IT guys from the number porting dept. do is work with plus net or any other network that encounters this issue to have certain files realised. Once this is completed the network should recognise it as a number allowed on the network. 

It happened a while back with Lyca mobile, when there systems went down anyone who was with us who came from that network either had no access at all or where being advised that the number was blocked. 

That is how it was explained to me, however as I said if you need a full on exclamation to this I’d be happy to track this down from the porting guys and post if for you. Just let me know and I’ll be happy to. 

Take care, 

Kelly 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hey @elch

I can’t account for what PlusNet have advised, I can only state what I have found out from this end. I understand it’s really frustrating, I myself are in a similar situation to yourself, I can’t contact anyone from my family. 

I’m sorry I can’t give more information than that, but as I said to @BrianF49 I can ask for more in-depth information that I can share if you like. 

with the charges I can get these credited back, if this hasn’t been done please let me know and ill private message for some account details and get that sorted for you. 

Take care, 

Kelly