Menu
plaggy2k16
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

brought a iphone from carphone warehouse

brought iphone from carphone warehouse got told once i put sim in it would lock i put a virgin sim in how do i go about getting unlocked from virgin due to being told by apple and carphone i would have to speak to virgin about this can someone guide me 

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: brought a iphone from carphone warehouse

This thread may be of interest. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/iPhone-unlocking-when-purchased-via-carphone-wareh...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you may find some of the information of use.

Virgin say they can't unlock them but I spoke to a friend in Apple and he gave me some information.

When you put in the SIM the phone would have been locked over the air by Apple and its details recorded on Apple's system as belonging to Virgin UK

Unlocking is again done over the air Apple when the operator (In this case Virgin) inform them to do it.

Virgin do not seem able to understand this. They do it for their own phones but not for phones not bought from them, and yet they have all the details needed on their system.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ploaggy2k16,

Virgin Mobile will not (probably can't) unlock your phone as you did not purchase it from them.

However you may be interested in this post here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/problems-with-unlocking-my-Iphone-6S/m-p/3069434#M... 

Persistence pays off it seems Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

AlexKid

According to my contact all Virgin have to do is pass IMEI number to Apple  along with the unlock request.

I understand some other networks do this with iPhones not bought from them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

enlli wrote:

AlexKid

According to my contact all Virgin have to do is pass IMEI number to Apple  along with the unlock request.

I understand some other networks do this with iPhones not bought from them.

Hi enlli,

perhaps they can but they seem unwilling even at the expense of a new phone:

jab1: "Virgin still stated they could not unlock my phone so they have just paid me  cost of a new Iphone. ( plus compensation)"

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos
plaggy2k16
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanx for all the info I wish I didn't buy the phone now it cost me 700 quid to buy sim free phone I really needed the phone at the time due to my mum being in hospital and wanted a realible phone but the signal is **bleep** and a leading company can't even offer 4g
0 Kudos
Geordiemick
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin tend to have that effect on customers who seem to leave in droves, I know I have. They are among the most unhelpful customer service staff I've come across, not because the don't want to help, it's because they don't know how to and just give you a load of pony instead. They can sell you an unlock code for £15 though.
0 Kudos
jab1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please Please do not give up your fight.

As you can see I complained via Cisas and Virgin have just paid me the full cost of a new Iphone 6S and compensation plus I get to keep the locked phone.

Virgin has to do something about this "scam"

0 Kudos