Menu
tracy79
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

broken screen

I had a samsung A3 on contract last friday the screen as now smashed can i do anything
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: broken screen

Is it a freestyle contract, where the insurance is a chargeable extra, or a pre-November contract, where there is free insurance?

If the former, did you actually pay for some insurance?

If you have free insurance, or you didn't pay for insurance, then you're stuffed. You need to take the handset to your local repair shop as it will cost about £20-£40 to fix, compared to the £150 or more you'll be charged otherwise. Getting it fixed locally this will probably void your warranty.

If you paid for insurance, depending on your agreed excess, you might be able to get it done by Virgin for £20 and still keep your warranty.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

tracy79 wrote:
I had a samsung A3 on contract last friday the screen as now smashed can i do anything

Do you mean you got your Samsung last Friday and the screen is now smashed (5 days from new and now broken), or you have had a Samsung on contract for some time and the screen is now smashed?

Insurance companies are very particular about what is and is not covered by their policies. You would have to provide far more detail about what actually caused the damage before they will consider any claim.

Personally I believe you will be stuck with a broken device, unless you provide far more information as to the cause of the damage, and ensure that the insurance you have adequately covers the circumstances.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
tracy79
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I fell over the phone was in my pocket don't know how it smashed like you said it as 5days since i had it the amount of times i dropped old phone and nothing happened makes me think phone will be prone to smashing with only the smallest accidents
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

tracy79 wrote:
I fell over the phone was in my pocket don't know how it smashed like you said it as 5days since i had it the amount of times i dropped old phone and nothing happened makes me think phone will be prone to smashing with only the smallest accidents

Jeez, a five day old phone with a broken screen making it unusable, I feel your pain.

I went through a similar experience myself, but I have to admit I was somewhat "7 sheets to the wind" at the time! Smiley Very Happy

Fortunately I was covered by my "all risks" home and contents insurance policy at the time, as the mobile phone insurance in place was worse than useless and actually covered the device for less than nothing.

If you are relying on cover provided by a VM policy, or one of the generic insurance policies provided by manufacturers, then I think you are out of luck. They will not provide cover for falling over and breaking your device.

Best to cut your losses, buy an unlocked phone and transfer your SIM to that, get independent insurance and put this issue behind you.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
tracy79
Joining in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have vm insurance and have emailed samsung As it should be under warranty do have home insurance
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

tracy79 wrote:
I have vm insurance and have emailed samsung As it should be under warranty do have home insurance

Warranty does not matter; it only covers manufacturing faults. This is accidental damage. You probably won't get a reply from Samsung other than to tell you their authorised repair centres.

It's a relatively new phone, so I'm guessing you have it on a freestyle contract. You also say you have vm insurance so the amount you'll be paying for that should be shown on your bill. Multiply that by ten, and you'll get the "excess" payment - which is the amount you'll have to contribute to the repair bill.

You still may be better off paying to have the repair done without involving insurers.

0 Kudos
tracy79
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Getting quotes now not sure the costs yet
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi tracy79,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm devastated to hear your new Samsung A3 is broken.

Many thanks to Sololobo and Gorf for providing some useful advice. I'd like to point you in the direction of our insurance policy here which provides all the information you need.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
tracy79
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have the insurance but Did it start from time i had mobile as at moment i have phone that doesn't work and a sim i can't use but Am still paying for
0 Kudos