Menu
leah_no1auntie
Up to speed
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

bored of excuses

so i have a sim oonly deal that i am only 5 days into when i asked to upgrade to a handset they said i could not do that as there is a blackilist on my postcode if this is the case then why was i offered the sim only ??

im tired of excuses by customer services and want to cancel my contract and what a surprise thy are telling me i cant because of the block if they think im going to pay for something i dont want they have another thing coming why should i stay with virgin when i can go to ee today and get my phone 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: bored of excuses

Hi Leah_no1auntie,

I'm really sorry that you've had issues with the blacklist. Has the block been removed on this?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Fidius
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

just cancel direct debit and if they send you a bill throw it in the bin im getting the same problem with a replacement sim ....basically there system sucks and they **bleep** you with lies when you call and its illegal for them to not cancel your contract if you request it so speak to a solicitor 

0 Kudos
leah_no1auntie
Up to speed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No matt still not sorted spoke to someone yesterday afternoon who confirmed that the issue had been sorted but surprise surprise not all accounts are fixed yet and mine happens to be one of them 😠 had enough now !
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fidius wrote:

just cancel direct debit and if they send you a bill throw it in the bin...

This is bad advice. My wife ended a contract with Three by cancelling the direct debit. The minimum term had finished, she couldn't understand the person who she was talking to so it seemed (at the time) to be the easiest way. Within six weeks we had a letter from a collection agency chasing a £30 debt for a fully-paid-up SIM we weren't even using.

You've entered into a contract to pay a monthly amount for a minimum term of 24 months. If you want to get out of that early, you need to be able to demonstrate that Virgin have not kept up their end of the contract. It doesn't say in the contract that Virgin will provide a decent website or courteous and knowledgeable customer service staff, so individually those aren't sufficient reasons to quit early.

If you do decide to quit by just cancelling the direct debit - look at it this way: If Virgin can't sort out their systems for current, paying customers that they should trying to keep happy, how much effort do you think they will put into sorting out a customer that has terminated their contract unilaterally? Leah's debt will be sold to a collection agency, and as far as they are concerned, the money is owed because they paid for the debt. They keep adding fees and making things worse until you end up in county court defending a debt that you never had with a company you never dealt with.

• Install a call recorder on your phone - I use ACR but there are alternatives for iPhones and probably similar apps for Windows.
  • Make sure it's working by phoning your voicemail and ensuring you can listen to the resulting recording.
  • Ring 789 and go through the process of ending your contract.
  • Request your PAC
  • Be clear and polite, but firm.
  • Do not end the call without making it clear that you've said all you need to say so the conversation is over.
  • If they hang up on you first (which has been reported several times recently on this forum) there's no reason to ring back.
  • Check the recording (and ideally, make a transcript)

You now have the evidence you need to present to a collection agency when (not if) they contact you.

Don't do all the "see you in court" business. District judges take a dim view of opponents who have not made all reasonable efforts to resolve their differences before it gets to court. Collection agencies know this, you should too.

Let us know how you get on.

0 Kudos
leah_no1auntie
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice I'm on a sim only deal so can cancel any time the problem I have is the tarriff is ideal for me and I cannot get that deal any where else and virgin know that I'm still in the 14 day cancellation period so ill see what happens tomorrow
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Leah_no1auntie,

How did you get on with this?

Let me know as soon as you can Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
leah_no1auntie
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Still not sorted mat rang again today only to be told I need to give them another 3 days because it's affected thousands of customers and also been told that I will have to undergo another credit check for a handset seeing as I've just passed one for a sim only surely another one so soon could affect my credit rating 😕
0 Kudos