Menu
ROBSTERR
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

activing new sim pretty much impossible

i got a new phone, one that uses a micro sim. my old phone used the biggest version of sim so i had to get a new one. i still have my old phone.

it says to either text or activate on the website
1. for some reason my old phone/sim has no service. i can't text or make phonecalls, i don't think my data works either. just my luck. it stopped working the same day i got the new sim, i hadn't done anything with the new sim before it broke so it's not the new sim that broke it.
2. i can't activate on the website because the site is down for maintenance. (it took me 4 tries to get the community forums to load, this site is so unreliable.)

i have no idea why my old phone doesn't get any service, i can't even phone up virgin to ask them. do i have to wait for the website to be fixed to activate my new sim on my new phone?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: activing new sim pretty much impossible

Hi ROBSTERR,

usually you would activate your new SIM yourself by sending the text "READY" to 789678 from your old phone & SIM.

After which, your old SIM will deactivate followed by your new SIM will becoming active.

It is curious that you have not done this but your old SIM is no longer working.

Did you ask Virgin when you made the call to request a replacement, to activate it for you?

Have you tried your new SIM?

I can only suggest that you manage  to borrow a phone or use a payphone to call customer services on 0345 6000 789 in order for them to look into this and activate your new SIM for you.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have no idea why the sim stopped working but the website is a bit like a lift.

call 0345 6000 789 local rate from a landline, I'm sure they can help you

0 Kudos
ROBSTERR
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

the sim came from the virgin shop. my mum got it while she was in town. she just said that i needed a micro sim and the guy gave her the card with the micro and nano cutout sims inside. i tried the 7890 code on the new phone in case it was setup for me. didn't work. so i tried to set it up myself on this link: virginmobile.co.uk/activate. but nothing seems to be working. you'd think they'd have the activation website working at all times. it shouldn't be down for maintenance for a whole day.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ROBSTERR,

so the SIM you are trying to activate is a new SIM with a new number?

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
ROBSTERR
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

no it's a replacement for my current sim, my new phone is newer than my old (obv) so it needs a smaller sim.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ROBSTERR,

Sorry to hear that you've had a problem activating your new SIM card on your new phone. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you about this--it's good to see that 

AlexKid and J0hn have been able to provide you with some advice about this issue.

Have you been able to get this sorted out? I can look into this for you, but I'll need to take further details from you. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the purple envelope at the top right of this page.

Speak soon,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi ROBSTERR,

I'm checking back with you about the issue you reported with activating your new SIM card, as I haven't received a response from you yet.
If you are still having problems with this and would like for me to look into this for you, please let me know.
Many thanks,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos