Menu
badoit
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

ZTE Blade as Wifi hotspot? Allowed or not?

It says this on the VM website under Phone Support... I thought it was not allowed?

How do I set my phone as a portable Wi-Fi hotspot?

To see what each step looks like on your phone, just click each step and check out the picture. You can also use the arrow keys on your keyboard.

1. You can make your ZTE Blade III a Wi-Fi hotspot to provide portable,convenient Internet access to other Wi-Fi enabled devices.

Note: keep it secure. To protect your phone and hotspot from unauthorised access, it is strongly recommended that you set up Security (WPA2 PSK is the most secure), including password.

Please note that you'll be using data from your mobile service and charges may apply.

Touch Applications.
    2. Scroll to and touch Settings.
    3. Touch More….
    4. Touch Tethering & portable hotspot.
    5. Touch Configure Wi-Fi hotspot.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: ZTE Blade as Wifi hotspot? Allowed or not?

Your right - it's not allowed.

Nice easy to follow instructions on how to break the rules though :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
badoit
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm a bit puzzled. When I got the phone, I read through the ZTE Blade 3 "Phone Support" pages on the VirginMedia website, and read the above, and thought "That'll be handy if I go in Tesco and get a Hudl 2". Which I might do soon.I didn't really think about it any more until the other day when I read in a post on this forum that something call "tethering" is not allowed by VM, although other carriers do allow it. Is this the same thing? If Virgin don't want you to do it, why do they tell you how to do it in their instructions for the phone? What happens if you do it? Does the phone get bricked? Do the police come round?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes that is the same thing and classed as tethering.

If you do it and they have noticed, I would expect you would just get a warning about it first, second time round - doubt it would be the police, but more likely be the heavy mob (picture in the link below)
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/My-Cat-Has-A-Complaint/m-p/2895564#U2895564

PS. Don't let Virgin know, but I do tether a little by Bluetooth to my cars sat-nav, for the use of Google & TomTom places, I have not been warned yet but the usage total would only be about 5meg @month.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
badoit
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I don't imagine using a lot of data, I'm on a 500 MB monthly SIM-only contract, but I imagine it could be handy now and then. Maybe I'll go over to EE like my girlfriend if they make a fuss.

0 Kudos