Menu
Sticks
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Xperia memory problems

I do not know what type my Xperia is, but it's model number is C2105. I am on contract.

I keep getting a warning that storage space is running low, and when I do I have to stop what I am doing and go to the Facebook app and delete the data from it, then try and log back into Facebook and redo my settings. Sometimes I have had to delete data from my AVG anti-virus app (free version)

It was suggested I delete unused apps, but they are either small in relation to the data I have to delete from the facebook app or listed as being on the SD card. I am unable to uninstall Facebook, as I had to on another phone and run facebook through a browser. Besides I did not go overboard on installing apps.

I have even had to stop automatic updates and notifications of app updates as they tended to trigger this "storage space is running out error", and I kept getting the "Can not install update due to lack of memory"errors, just after using up valuable data allowance.

I am told that the issue is that my Xperia only has 2GB in internal memory, which is insufficient. When I took it to the Virgin shop, they said all I could do was the delete data from Facebook App.

I was told that I can not upgrade my phone until April 2016.

Any clues here?

Is there anyway to upgrade early or would that involve large some of money

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xperia memory problems

Hi Sticks,

Thanks for posting your query with us.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with memory on your Sony Xperia phone.

I'd like to help you out with this if I can.

Checking your model on Google it states this is a Sony Xperia L model. This has 8GB of internal storage and an SD card slot which supports up to 32GB.

One of the most common reasons memory becomes full on mobile phones are apps as you've mentioned but also photos and videos.

You can check the memory on your phone by following this guide here. This should tell you where the most memory is being used.

I've also included a link to the general help section for your Sony Xperia L here.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Yardstick
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Common problem with the l model, there is a huge thread about it on the Sony forum (http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-L/Device-memory-full-in-xperia-L/m-p/347456#U347456) you could also try installing clean master from the app store which will help clean your phone.
0 Kudos
Sticks
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Looking at Settings > Storage it says Device Memory: Total space 1.57 GB Internal Storage: Total space 4.01GB I have been clearing the cache, and now tried the Move Data to SD card
0 Kudos
Yardstick
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

thats about all you can do. I use the clean master app every other day and in the last year or so its 'cleaned' over 70GB of data. My next phone will have a much bigger internal memory as well as an SD card.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sticks,

Thanks for getting back to us.

As Yardstick mentioned an SD card is probably your best way forward with this.

I have my wife's hand me down Samsung S3 and have set any photo's I take to save under the SD card. This might be an option on your handset also and its a very good way of keeping the internal memory healthy in the long term.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Japescoal
Just joined
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have similar problems with my Sony Xperia L i.e if I install more than a handful of apps I get out of memory errors and apps crash, performance is sluggish and the phone can switch itself off and takes 10s of goes to turn back on again. I have moved all moveable apps and media to the SD card, which has plenty of free space. Recently I have done 3 complete reinstalls of the phones software, but the problems remain. The answer from Virgin Media is wait until your phone is out of contract and get pay for an upgrade.  However, as my phone has ceased to function correctly I would like to put in a claim to get it fixed or replaced according to the warranty statement as below. 

'if your new phone or new mobile broadband device (each referred to in these terms and conditions as the Device) ceases to function correctly due to defective materials or workmanship within 12 months for an iPhone, or 24 months for other handset manufacturer devices from purchase (excluding the battery and charger, which are covered for 12 months from purchase), we'll repair the Device or if we are unable to repair it we will replace it free of charge with an as new Device which in our opinion is of equivalent specification provided that:,

How do I claim on this warranty?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Japescoal,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Sony Xperia. 

You would need to call our mobile team on 789 or alternatively on 0345 6000 789 so we can take a look at this for you. Our mobile team can arrange to send the phone off to our repair centre who will decide if this issue is covered under the warranty.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos
SusieWoo75
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have the same device and the same issues. They are common. I've followed various forums' advice, to no avail. I've also been told that I cannot upgrade until June. This appears to be a known and common problem with this handset. ( https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-L/Device-memory-full-in-xperia-L/td-p/347456 ), (http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-l/help/xperia-ls-storage-problem-t2461930 ) and Virgin's customer care regarding the issue is making need doubt I'll renew with Virgin. I have a handset that is effectively unable to be used as a smartphone add I am unable to download or update apps and cannot even receive email.
0 Kudos
Jools61
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I too could do with some help with my Sony xperia phone.

The memory is very poor - I cannot up date apps or add any new ones as memory is so low - never had this problem with any previous phones. I have a memory card in  the phone but can only move photos to it, cannot move any apps. I also cannot delete all the apps that came with the phone that I don't want/need - that would free up space..

I trusted Virgin last March when I started my new contract -was told it was a great phone,  the call handler never mentioned that this could be an issue. I have tried a few times to call Virgin but they are absolutely no help. I last called a week ago and was told it was my fault for picking the phone,  and the manufacturers fault  for the low memory not Virgin's !! I have over a year left on a contract when the phone really is not fit for purpose

When I requested they get someone more senior to call me as I wished to raise a complaint, surprisingly no-one has called ! How do I sort this out?

Anyone out there from Virgin care to offer some help???? 

0 Kudos