Menu
borelandn
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Xperia M5 Rubbish Wi-Fi

When are we getting an upgrade to Android on the Xperia M5 - the wi-fi is rubbish, when it loses connection you have to switch the phone off and back on before it will reconnect - I notice I am not the only one having this issue, my other niggle is that it takes way too long to do a simple task like delete a text (up to 5 seconds).

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xperia M5 Rubbish Wi-Fi

Hi there Borelandn,

Thank you for coming in and posting again in the Community, I hope you are doing well Smiley Happy

I am so sorry to read about the WiFi issues whilst using the phone. I would just like to clarify, is this the WiFi being received from the home broadband/external broadband or the mobile data provided by ourselves?

Thank you for trying to reboot the device, I would like to get to the bottom of this for you Smiley Happy

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
borelandn
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Its Wi-Fi in my home (Virgin Broadband / SuperHub II) - outside the home via the cloud is also a problem.  The device needs to be restarted then it connects immediately, all other devices including the PC I am typing this on, my "free" tablet I got with the phone, my previous 2 phones and an old PDA I have connect without issue or problem to the same Wi-Fi.   Like I say, I notice from this forum that I am not the only person experiencing these issues.

0 Kudos
pinkangel
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem. Is there a solution?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

sounds more like a problem with the phones software. Have you posted on sony forum to see if they have any better ideas http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-M5/bd-p/xperia_m5

as you have said other devices work on your connection and the phone as the same problem on BT hotspots it will be a problem with the phoen hardware/software not the connection.
0 Kudos
borelandn
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Almost certainly a phone/phone software fault otherwise I would be the only person suffering the issue which is why I asked when we are getting a Marshmallow upgrade for the Xperia M5 which has been available for months from other suppliers - its not the end of the world, just annoying that I have to "reboot" my phone to connect to wi-fi

0 Kudos
borelandn
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm hoping Virgin will release a Android Marshmallow upgrade shortly - its been available on the M5 for months from some suppliers, I hope the upgrade solves the issue which is why it was my first question and one that still remains unanswered.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Rather than the pain of a reboot, have you tried the lesser, but still a pain of wifi off, wifi on on the settings? There is a quick option but I don't know where it is on your phone.

Also Virgin are always slow at software updates, so don't hold your breath.

If you are tech minded checkout day developers website, if not I'd avoid it as it won't help
0 Kudos
borelandn
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes I tried just restarting Wi-Fi - it doesn't work, the more I look into this the more it seems that its an inherent fault - I won't hold my breath, very disappointed with the phone hopefully Marshmallow comes quickly, sorts it out or I will never use a Sony phone again!

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Try this

go to settings wifi, tap on your wifi connection, go to setting, might be tap the 3 dots top right. Advanced settings

then in the setting choose frequency, and change it.

if it's auto choose 2.4Ghz only if it works then ok, if not try the 5 Ghz only.

if it's already set to one of these try the auto

0 Kudos