Menu
Pb623
Tuning in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Worst mobile internet speed ever!!

I am absoloutely sick to death with extremely poor internet speeds on my S5. I spend more time watching a video buffering than watching the video itself, by about 3-4 times. I have 'unlimited' data that gets strangled at 2.5 gb which is another complete con but do you know what? There isn't even any change in speed when I go past that barrier as my internet is so poor already that it would be hard for virgin mobile to make it any worse for me. Called up numerous times and each time they do the same thing, 'refresh data and do a hard reset' - utter nonsense. 1 yr left on contract but I think I'll be paying up and bailing early to go to o2 where I can get 20 gb of premium quality data on 4g network without all the hidden restrictions. Well done Branson, you've succeded in contributing greatly to the pool of greedy immoral businessman in our midst, sitting in a billionaire's mansion worrying about whether your letting the proletariat eat up too many precious gigabytes (that's exactly why you strangled us from 3.5 to 2.5 recently). I will also be changing my broadband supplier on principle as I refuse to willingly encourage the greed of a shiny haired bearded man any longer. Sorry Richard, but it seems your head went up with the first balloon you launched. Peace.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Worst mobile internet speed ever!!

Branson doesn't own Virgin media 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Pb623 wrote:
I am absoloutely sick to death with extremely poor internet speeds on my S5. I spend more time watching a video buffering than watching the video itself, by about 3-4 times. I have 'unlimited' data that gets strangled at 2.5 gb which is another complete con but do you know what? There isn't even any change in speed when I go past that barrier as my internet is so poor already that it would be hard for virgin mobile to make it any worse for me. Called up numerous times and each time they do the same thing, 'refresh data and do a hard reset' - utter nonsense. 1 yr left on contract but I think I'll be paying up and bailing early to go to o2 where I can get 20 gb of premium quality data on 4g network without all the hidden restrictions. Well done Branson, you've succeded in contributing greatly to the pool of greedy immoral businessman in our midst, sitting in a billionaire's mansion worrying about whether your letting the proletariat eat up too many precious gigabytes (that's exactly why you strangled us from 3.5 to 2.5 recently). I will also be changing my broadband supplier on principle as I refuse to willingly encourage the greed of a shiny haired bearded man any longer. Sorry Richard, but it seems your head went up with the first balloon you launched. Peace.

Its actually worse than that.

Your feeding the greed of a faceless American conglomerate that pays kindly silver haired Richard to but a human face on their diabolical machinations.

Power to the people!

Switch to BT, (or any other major provider, who re-sell BT)

They are a mostly British conglomerate who...blah blah....

You live in what is effectively a  3rd world dictatorship. The Chinese own most of what the Queen doesn't. There is a lopsided duopoly in charge of the fixed line broadband market. Good luck selecting a morally unambiguous provider.

And that's the broadband end-

The mobile market is slightly more diverse, but not by much...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pb623

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with your mobile broadband speeds at the moment.

The speeds you can obtain through 3G do vary depending on the strength of the signal and the number of customers connecting at the time.

Can you confirm if the issues you're having is when you're in one particular location or everywhere you go?

We do restrict speeds if you exceed 3.5GB in any calendar month on our unlimited data bundles and this is to ensure all customers get a fair use of our network. For more information about this, take a look at our Terms and Conditions here.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Pb623
Tuning in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

It is wherever I go and it has been persisting for quite a while as well. Thanks for your reply
0 Kudos
Pb623
Tuning in
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Also I think it's restricted after 2.5gb now
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pb623

The speed reduction should only happen if you exceed 3.5GB, but this works through a calendar month, so isn't aligned with your refresh date.

If you're finding the speeds are still slow even when you're not exceeding this and it's happening everywhere you go, it's likely to be the SIM or the handset that is at fault.

If you can test the SIM in another handset and vice versa and let us know you get on we'll be happy to help out further.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Pb623
Tuning in
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Had my sim updated recently and it didn't make a difference and I tried it in my girlfriends phone and it was still just as slow as well.

Paul.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pb623

That's not good to hear.

When you run a speed test on the handset over 3G, what speeds do you get?

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Pb623
Tuning in
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi, did a speed test at 0030 and I got 8.68 mbps. I'll try it in the morning and see if it's any different.

Thanks.
0 Kudos