Menu
Hoppot
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 mobile

Windows 10 is now available. The Windows update adviser says it is waiting for my mobile operator to make the upgrade available. When will Virgin be doing this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
alexpb22
Tuning in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows 10 mobile

I'm here looking for the same answer, when can we expect this Virgin?
0 Kudos
Hoppot
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hmm - rang 789, and they weren't able to supply a date. It's a bit annoying.

1. I bought the phone (Lumia 640) because it said it would be upgraded to Windows 10.

2. Microsoft have now (17th March) released W10 to other phones and operators.

3. The Microsoft app UpgradeAdvisor says my phone is OK to be upgraded.

It seems we're just waiting on Virgin...

0 Kudos
alexpb22
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting us know. Its so annoying as have been waiting a while and the date kept getting put back. Now I see on twitter everyone getting their upgrade as od the 17th but absolute silence regarding Virgin. They must know by now though so please just tell us.
edw_2000
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When the 8.1 update was released Virgin media was really late to the party even though their infrastructure provider (can't remember who they use of the top of my head. EE?) had rolled it out. I remember asking on a number of occasions with no one seeming to know who to contact. In the end it just appeared so don't hold your breath. I do think its bad to advertise a phone with the "free" upgrade to windows 10 mobile when windows 10 mobile had already been released but they can't provide a vendor specific date.
0 Kudos
alexpb22
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info, its good to know. I expect then it will be a while before anything happens. Having looked on twitter it seems that EE users don't have the upgrade either and as you said EE are kinda the host network. What I find strange is that this isn't a new thing that has come as a surprise, its been on the card for months so Virgin must know what's happening even if its simply delayed. It would be good if they could notify their customers rather than saying that they don't know.
Hoppot
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip about EE.  I found this on their forum: ee question

One of the EE guys says 'real soon'.

Will that apply to Virgin??

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I expect the Windows phones from Virgin are unlocked retail versions, you can check in your phones settings.

If they are retail the update would be straight from Microsoft at a slow pace, we waited for a couple of months after Microsoft said 8.1 update for our 635 was out.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
alexpb22
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well folks I got a bit impatient so I downloaded the Windows Insider Programme app which is what they uses for testing beta software etc with users and downloaded Windows 10 and have it on my phone and so far so good.
I'm not tech savvy so can't say that you should do the same but research it first and then decide whether its something you want to do or not but its worked for me.

My assumption was that they've finished testing the OS so the one that my phone downloads should in theory be the same one that has been rolled out to other people. No idea whether this is the case but I haven't found any issues yet.
harii_deville
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just thought i'd let you all know that the upgrade is now available on virgin! - you have to go thought the app first.

got mine this morning Smiley Happy

0 Kudos