Menu
PedallingPete
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Will new 4G chip allow me to revert to 3G usage?

Just been sent 4G chip by Virgin Mobile. Live in rural area, carrying iPhone6 while cycling. Have read that search for 4G in poor signal areas (ie everywhere I cycle!) can drain battery. Should I/can I replace old 3G chip with new 4G chip, but then revert to using 3G service for normal use. Or should I simply not bother to implement the 4G chip sent by Virgin Mobile? I have minimal use of facilities requiring 4G, so don't really see the need!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
CQ20
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Will new 4G chip allow me to revert to 3G usage?

I live in an area with a strong 3G signal but an intermitent / weak 4G signal.  It I leave the phone in 4G mode, the battery drains faster because it switches to 3G and then starts searching for 4G whenever the 4G signal drops.  If I leave the phone in 3G mode, the battery life is better.  It all depends on how you balance the trouble of switching modes vs more frequent charging. (vs, of course, online speed when using the net etc). 

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You can disable 4g on the iphone, but ive never heard of the battery drain problem before
enlli
Super solver
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The big cause of battery drain is weak signal.

Like you I travel to rural spots, the phone battery will always run down faster in weak spots even if on standby.

I cycle and always carry a battery bank with me for emergancies

0 Kudos
CQ20
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I live in an area with a strong 3G signal but an intermitent / weak 4G signal.  It I leave the phone in 4G mode, the battery drains faster because it switches to 3G and then starts searching for 4G whenever the 4G signal drops.  If I leave the phone in 3G mode, the battery life is better.  It all depends on how you balance the trouble of switching modes vs more frequent charging. (vs, of course, online speed when using the net etc).