Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 12 (249 Views)

Wifi buddy does not set up

I am a virgin mobile client. Virgin media app was working. Now it asks peap and other details such as username and password. Reinstalled app but now does not set up. Wifi works with other networks. Tried to forget virginmedia reboot phone but no joy.
Help!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 12 (247 Views)

Re: Wifi buddy does not set up

jdrnlondon wrote:
I am a virgin mobile client. Virgin media app was working. Now it asks peap and other details such as username and password. Reinstalled app but now does not set up. Wifi works with other networks. Tried to forget virginmedia reboot phone but no joy.
Help!

The buddy app was retired and replaced with this https://my.virginmedia.com/my-app/what-is-virgin-media-wifi.html

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 12 (237 Views)

Yes I downloaded the latest app.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 12 (228 Views)

Still no luck
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 12 (221 Views)

So you've removed the buddy app? good. The WiFi app linked is the one to use.

Is your phone Android or IOS? Android wise it requires v4.3 of that operating system and VM's mobile apps on IOS seem to have a minimum requirement of IOS 9.1

If your device meets those minimum requirements, did you go through the process and allow it to install the ssl certificate etc?

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 12 (216 Views)

I had the new virgin media app from beginning. It was working ok. Then it stopped. I deleted it and re add it. Now in the set up process it just asked me name and password. It seems not recognising that I am a mobile customer.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 12 (182 Views)

jdrnlondon wrote:
I had the new virgin media app from beginning. It was working ok. Then it stopped. I deleted it and re add it. Now in the set up process it just asked me name and password. It seems not recognising that I am a mobile customer.

Then there was no need to name the old app in the first place that being so.  It would still be useful to know which you use (IOS or Android) and which version the OS is at.

When installing the WiFi app you should be presented with the option to login with a VM email if you have broadband or via your mobile details. From there it will ask you to turn off WiFi and only have mobile data on, it will then go through a process of installing a profile+cert to enable auto-connection to hotspots. At which stage in this are you getting too.

@Graham_A Anything you can add to this as you've setup the app for v-mobile account before

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 12 (179 Views)

@Shelke

I think my issue was different. As a PAYG mobile customer the mobile authentication in the app required a minimum monthly top up. This was more than I use.

To get around it I removed the SIM card and used my VM Broadband credentials to authenticate the VM WiFi app. Once set up I replaced the SIM card and ignored the nag screen to authenticate over mobile data. App still working.
Message 9 of 12 (167 Views)

I have an Android Motorola E3 version 6. When I press auto connect it asks my virginmedia details. Does not give option for mobile account Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12 (139 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi jdrnlondon,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear your Virgin Media WiFi app stopped working.

You actually need to do a little more than uninstall and reinstall the app because it more than likely recognises previous profiles. The error will say 'Unable to install Virgin Media WiFi settings'

The remove the profiles you need to go through your known WiFi networks list and 'Forget' or 'Remove' the networks below. You'd usually press and hold and it'll bring up the option.

Virgin Media

_The Cloud X

arq_wifi_x

You now need to install the app again. When you open it for the first time you need to be using your mobile data (turn WiFi off). You then select 'Next' a few times until you get to 'Set up auto-connect'.

You then accept the terms and conditions and then select 'Continue'. It will then do a network search and will install the settings once again.

When it's successful it will show 'Installation Complete'. You will then see an option at the bottom saying 'Virgin Mobile? Get More WiFi'. You then accept the terms and conditions again and select 'Continue' and 'Allow' to use the location if you wish.

That should be all you need to do. I've just done this whole process myself and it worked fine without asking for a single detail.

Hope this information helps. Please let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos