Menu
Operanut
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

WiFi problems with LG K8 phone

My new LG K8 phone works brilliantly on wifi - except on my home wireless network (also Virgin), and very occasionally on other networks.  It connects at home for a few minutes, and then drops out, remembering the network, but not reconnecting.  The only way to cure this is to reset the router (which drops the rest of the household out).  I tried phoning virgin, but all they do is change the channel.  That works for about 10 minutes and then we are back to square 1.

Any ideas please?

J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi problems with LG K8 phone

Try this

go into setting, wifi, forget your home wifi channel, reboot the phone, go back into settings, wifi, search add and enter the password for your wifi

this does not always work but............

0 Kudos
Operanut
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks J0hn.  Sadly that did not work.

i am hoping for some access whilst son the younger and his laptop are away for a few days.  It seems to work better when he is not connected.

0 Kudos
Keleon1473
Just joined
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Did you ever resolve this problem. I have just purchased 2 K8s for my kids and both suffer with the exact issue you have described.
0 Kudos
Operanut
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

O.  No vVery frustrated.

0 Kudos
Johnnyc
Just joined
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

I have exact same problem as originally posted.  Would be interested in any feedback or solutions from VirginMedia or anyone else.

Very frustrating problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Keleon1473, 

I’m sorry to learn you’re having issues with the LG K8 phone's connecting to the Wi-Fi at home. Give this a try: 

• Mobiles - go to settings - tap on Wi-Fi - select your home network - tap forget. Then turn it off for a second and turn it on.

• Modem - take the power away for 30 seconds - turn on and allow to full load. 

Once you have done both the phone and the modem, connect back up to the home Wi-Fi and this should stop happening. I would also try and do the mobile and the modem within about 3-5 mins of one another. I had the same issue at home with any of the device’s I have, this normally connects it back up.

Let me know how you get on, 

Take care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
Operanut
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for your response.

Yes this does work.  Usually for a couple of hours, and occasionally for a little longer.

Unfortunately, it is a pain to do, and with three other people in the house with laptops, phones etc, is not a very popular thing to do either.

The phone works fine at my parents' house (BT Openreach) and at two of the schools I visit for work.  It also picks up quite a number of free hotspots (including my local hospital).  I just wish it would work at home!

Jane

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Operanut,

Is it possible to try changing the name and security of your Wi-Fi network to see if the phone behaves any differently?

If you are not sure how to do this, it might be an idea to give the team a ring on 150 from your landline as they can help.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Liam

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Operanut
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have tried changing the security.  The team have also changed the channel several times, which works for 24 hours or so.   My husbands laptop, which is usually near the back of the house, has been having problems as well.  The BT wi if signal seems to be stronger then the Virgin one in his office.  We tried an Ethernet cable, but that only works intermittently too.  

We have a path attenuator attached to the router box (by a Virginmedia engineer).  What is it? What should it do? And is it likely to have any effect on our problems?

0 Kudos