Menu
bumblebee33
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Buddy

Hi I'm a newbie just joined started with Virgin.  I have a Nokia Lumia phone with windows8 does anyone know how to find WiFi Buddy so I can install it?

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Buddy

Hi Bumblebee33,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm afraid Wi-Fi buddy isn't currently available for Windows Phones. We're always looking into the possibility of adding this.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

bumblebee33
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Buddy

Thanks mat

0 Kudos
bejb
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Buddy for Windows 10 phones

I wondered if there was any news on this. I use a Microsoft 640.

Virgin clearly say in big letters on their website 'Enjoy free WiFi on all our phones and SIMs' (http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/free-wifi-hotspots.html)

They sell a Lumia 650 (http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-monthly-phones/microsoft-lumia-650-black/micros...) and on that page they highlight 'Free WiFi at 250,000+ hotspots'.

But then they make it so their free WiFi can only be accessed via an app, which they only provide for iOS and Android.

So it seems to me one of three things needs to happen:-

1. A universal wifi app for Microsoft devices (phones, tablets, laptops etc) needs to be provided.
  2. A mechanism needs to be provided to allow access to the free wifi service without needing the app.
  3. The fact that Windows devices are excluded from this service needs to be more clearly shown on the Virgin website, and probably they need to be subject to an appropriate level discount (or boost to data allowance) as they are not receiving the full service.

It would be great to hear any news on the provision of this service to the 1.5 billion Windows devices worldwide.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey bejb, 

We can only deploy our applications onto devices if we have permissions from the manufacturers of the phones and the platforms, Unfortunately Microsoft as of yet haven't allowed the app to roll out on their range of devices. 

I am very sorry that you are unable to use the Wi-Fi Buddy App, I am hoping that will change in the future as I am a Lumia user myself and would love this feature myself. 

Take Care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
bejb
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear Kelly

Many thanks for your very positive reply.

You appear to be suggesting that Virgin have created a n app and submitted it to the MS Store, but are still awaiting approval for it to become live to users. Is that correct?

I wonder if there is anything I can to help, as an ordinary user?

Cheers Eric

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Eric, 

Thank you for responding to me. Smiley Happy

When we make and roll out any app, we always present this to all the mobile phone manufacturers and the software developers, they then from there make a decision as to whether or not they want this particular app on their platform.

Microsoft as far as i am aware have not authorised the use of this on their platform. 

What I will do is feed into the company that you have expressed serious interest in having the Wi-Fi Buddy app on your mobile platform, the more interest that is expressed about this the better it can be for users like you and me Smiley Happy

Take care,

Kelly

0 Kudos
wyabcp
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

First thing it's best to make sure anyone with Windows devices opt out of the wifi sharing, it's no use to you without them supporting Windows phone.

Secondly, this isn't a MS issue, it's not them that make the app, it's likely a 3rd party that Virgin pay to write the app, and given the low foot print of windows phone users, and probably lack of Windows phone knowledge in the development team, they thus choose not to supply.

Using "as far as I'm aware" in the answer doesn't fill us with confidence!