Menu
imc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Buddy app

Dear Virgin Media,

Thanks very much for your promotional email message which states "Connect automatically to speedy WiFi hotspots with our free WiFi Buddy app".

However, my phone already does this by itself.  Why on earth would I need an app for it?  (Unless you are telling me that I can have access to more Wi-Fi hotspots, which I don't think you are?)

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Buddy app

Hi Imc,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

The Wi-fi buddy app will automatically connect you to over 150,000 Wi-Fi hotspots including 22,000 hotspots for cloud Wi-Fi like bars and cafes.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

When is this App coming to the Apple Store?

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tudor,

We've got no news on this currently. If this changes, we'll be sure to post in our announcements board.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

As it has been a long time since it was released for Android I suspect there is some iffy code in it that will not pass Apple's tests!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
imc
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Mat I'm sorry but that in no way answers my question.

Who provides these "150,000 Wi-Fi hotspots including 22,000 hotspots for cloud Wi-Fi"?  Are they hotspots that I already have access to without using the app?  Or has Virgin Media entered an agreement with some provider such as The Cloud (Sky) or Openzone (BT) to provide connectivity that's not usually available to the general public?  In which case, let's have some names.

In short: why do I need this app?  My phone can already connect to Wi-Fi hotspots without it.

spell
Well-informed
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

imc wrote:

Mat I'm sorry but that in no way answers my question.

Who provides these "150,000 Wi-Fi hotspots including 22,000 hotspots for cloud Wi-Fi"?  Are they hotspots that I already have access to without using the app?  Or has Virgin Media entered an agreement with some provider such as The Cloud (Sky) or Openzone (BT) to provide connectivity that's not usually available to the general public?  In which case, let's have some names.

In short: why do I need this app?  My phone can already connect to Wi-Fi hotspots without it.

Ditto

I installed this app a while ago and uninstalled it because it did not seem to have any purpose whatsoever beyond what the phone already did for itself. 

An answer would be interesting - unfortunately as you point out Mats response does not address the question (although it is pretty good Virgin speak).

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Imc,

I'm afraid I don't have a full list of the providers available. As there's 150,000 hotspots, there would be a comprehensive list of them.

The app will let you know what available hotspots you can connect to. 

Sorry I couldn't help further.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@ OP why not simply ignore the msg and move on, you are not forced to install, it.

0 Kudos
khunter83
Joining in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Apparently the app will connect your to 'the cloud' WiFi without any login needed (it'll verify your sim card)
Unfortunately it doesn't work.
0 Kudos