Menu
Declanworld
Superfast
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi Issue

Morning.

I am only getting 38Mbps on Wi-Fi via my Samsung Galaxy S3 and my 73Mbps VM connection - this is while the phone's sitting beside my Super Hub 2.

Both my sons are getting the full 73Mbps on their Galaxy S5s.

I have hunted on the Internet - Google pages are coming out of my ears - none of the suggested solutions have made any impact.  I haven't done a factory reset yet but I will if the good people of this forum can't come up with an answer.

I've been directed here having had no joy on the Networking and wireless forum.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-Fi Issue

Is it a super hub 2ac? (the top right of the label on the bottom of the router will tell you if it's a 2ac or a 2)

If it's a 2ac, that's the reason.

Darkstar1337
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On the SuperHub 2 Wireless Radio & try Up to 450Mbps (best for wireless performance)' on the 'Wireless Frequency 5GHz' and connect to that on the S5

Screenshot_2015-11-20-20-02-04.png

Declanworld
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's a 2.

0 Kudos
Declanworld
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's an S3.  I've tried the 450Mbps setting on 5Ghz and I get 60Mbps in the same room but the signal disappears upstairs (5Ghz is great as long as you have an unobstructed path to the router).  For that reason, I have no choice than to use 2.4Ghz.

I went on a live chat with Samsung today - the agent said that the speed I was getting was due to the age of the technology in the S3.

If that's true, I'll have to live with it until my son upgrades and hands-me-up his S5. LOL

Thanks for you kind attention.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Declanworld wrote:

I went on a live chat with Samsung today - the agent said that the speed I was getting was due to the age of the technology in the S3.

It is possibly that - which is why I was asking if the router is a SH 2ac.

The only difference in the wifi between the S3 and the S5 is that the latter has 802.11ac as its highest bandwidth protocol, whereas the former only goes up to 802.11n.

As the router is 802.11n - it makes it academic, but I wonder what it really is about the S3 that's making it slower than the S5.

Declanworld
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The agent didn't expand on it - I should've asked him and I don't know why I didn't - maybe the loss of morale. LOL

0 Kudos