Menu
W4yne1
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Why was my application for a mobile monthly SIM contract denied?

Why was my application for a monthly SIM denied?  I have been a virgin media customer since it was NTL.  I recently popped into a virgin media store to see about changing from my current vodaphone contract over to virgin since I have the full virgin media package anyway.  They ran the credit search and said that it had gone to their underwriters, the next day I went back to see if they had heard anything, unbeknown to me they then ran a second credit search in two days which they should not have done, the first search would have been good for seven days, do the virgin media staff realise this alone adds a flag to a credit rating?  I was then told that the credit search company Equifax had declined me?  I contacted Equifax as I am registered with them and Experian, they informed me that it was not they that had denied me but virgin media, as I already knew my credit score was excellent. 

This is like a slap in the face from virgin, is this the thanks you get for being a loyal long time customer? I am finding it impossible to get answers unable to contact virgin via email or phone, I have asked for a call back nothing yet.  If Sir Richard Branson knew this was how his customer care service was being run I am sure he would be pulling his hair out.

As a last resort my next step will be to to write a letter of complaint and to seriously consider telling virgin to cancel my TV, Broadband and phone line as I will be looking for another provider who cares about their customers.

0 Kudos
dazm33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why was my application for a mobile monthly SIM contract denied?

I hear that all the time "I will change provider to someone who cares" or similar but in reality none of them care, I wish people would stop treating mobile phone networks like a pet or something, They are only interested in your money no matter how nice they are at the start, Once they have you signed up they will wait until 14 days is up and then its to late they have you in a long long slog of a contract, Virgin Media though are looking to win worse customer services award 2015 and at this rate they will achieve this aim,

0 Kudos
W4yne1
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

That is the problem though clever-clogs, they don't seem to want my money, I offered to pay the £5 monthly fee a year in advance £60 if virgin were worried that I may default and miss a payement, but that only seemed to confuse the person on the other end of the phone.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

W4yne1 wrote:

...They ran the credit search and said that it had gone to their underwriters, the next day I went back to see if they had heard anything, unbeknown to me they then ran a second credit search in two days which they should not have done, the first search would have been good for seven days, do the virgin media staff realise this alone adds a flag to a credit rating?  I was then told that the credit search company Equifax had declined me?  I contacted Equifax as I am registered with them and Experian, they informed me that it was not they that had denied me but virgin media, as I already knew my credit score was excellent. 

The credit reference agencies never have a say in who gets accepted/declined. They just provide a number (in Experian's case, between 0 and 999) which the retailer will use to decide whether to give you the loan.

For several months, Virgin have had a problem with totally creditworthy customers being declined - but this is the first one I've seen where the credit check appears to have actually "left the building" and got as far as an agency. If you take a look on at your agency account on the appropriate website, is the check (or checks) actually listed against your Equifax/Experian record?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi W4yne1,

Welcome to the forumSmiley Happy and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear your application was denied.

I'd like to look into this for you.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) to gather some details form you.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
W4yne1
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gorf, 

Yes it states on my Equifax report that Virgin Media made two credit searches over two consecutive days. Under the advice of Equifax I have been trying to speak to virgin media to try and get these searches cancelled because as you are probably will be aware this in itself can have a detrimental effect against a credt score.

0 Kudos
W4yne1
Joining in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen, thanks for getting me that information, I filled out the required form as requested and yesterday received an email reply from virgin media who now require me to write a letter to virgins underwriting department giving them authorisation to look at my Equifax report, I have done this today and await their reply.

In the meantime under the advice of Equifax can you tell me now how I would go about getting Virgin Media to remove the two credit searches they did on two consecutive days off my record please? as carrying out credit searches leaves a flag which in itself has an adverse effect on a credit score and as Eqifax pointed out there was no need for virgin media to carry out two! searches in two consecutive days. There used to be an option to speak to someone when phoning from the virgin landline number 150 but now all you get is "do you want to talk to us about your TV, broadband, bills or mobile" there no longer seems to be the option of other?

Kind Regards,

Wayne
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi W4yne1,

Thanks for getting back to meSmiley Happy

Really pleased to hear we've been in contact.

I've sent you another PM regarding your credit search's.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
W4yne1
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen,

I received an email from Virgin yesterday informing me that they have agreed to remove one of the two! credit searches they carrrid out over a two day period.

However I am still awaiting a reply from the underwriting department as to why they declined my application for a mobile contract? It has been over two weeks now since I wrote to them giving my permission to look into my Equifax credit report.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi W4yne1,

Thanks for coming back to us Smiley Happy

Glad to hear we've been in touch regarding the credit searches.

Can you let me know the date you emailed the Underwriting team so I can check their backlog?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos