Menu
Dan106
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Why is my 3G so unbearably slow?

I've had my premiere sim only contract for quite a while, the awfully slow speed never used to bother me that much as I only really ever used 3G to look at social media and forums etc.

However recently after starting a new job (in which I have spare time while a machine is running) it has become unbearable, I can't even watch a 7 second video on Facebook without leaving it to load for 10 minutes! Whereas my colleagues who are on other networks are able to stream films online without any trouble! My 3G can't even load up the YouTube homepage let alone use it to watch a bloody video!

Phone is an iPhone 5 which does everything I want it to while it's on wifi so it's most definitley not because of the phone, which also was fine at viewing videos with an orange SIM card in it!
0 Kudos
dazm33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is my 3G so unbearably slow?

I also suffered slow speed on Virgin Mobile 3G I gave 789 a ring and they said it was a system fault and not a network issue as of now its better but not what I would expect 

0 Kudos
Justinuk73
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I can honestly say in all the time I've been with Virgin, I've never, ever been able to stream videos on the various phones I've had on their 3G network. It works on wifi without fail. I've had mostly Samsungs, Samsung Galaxy's, one iPhone and one Sony Xperia over the time. Non of them could stream a video. Worse still, non of them would stream internet radio!!! That's just sound?????

0 Kudos
Dan106
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wow well if this is the case it looks like I'll be finding a new contract with a different provider then!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dan106,

Welcome to the forumSmiley Happy

Sorry to hear your'e experiencing slow speeds on 3G.

I'd like to take a look into this for you.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) so I can gather some further details from you.

Speak soon.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dan106,

Thanks for providing your details for me.

I have checked your local network coverage and everything seems ok from what I can see. There are a few masts situated quite close to you and they are all working well within expected tolerances.

If you use a lot of data you may be effected by our fair usage policy which I have included here.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need anything.
Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Dan106
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's where I works the problem as when I'm home I'm on wifi, and I barely use 3G anywhere else, that and I was told I have 10gb of data before it gets restricted?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dan106,

Thanks for your reply.

Looking at the area around your works there is quite a gap between some of the masts. There are only 2 masts close to your work from what I can see. This may cause congestion particularly if you have a lot of other users connecting to those masts.

Regarding the fair usage policy for customers who joined after 25th June 2012 the threshold when fair usage kicks in is at 3.5GB and for pre 25th June 2012 the threshold is 2GB before the fair usage policy will kick in. It may explain things a bit better in the link I provided earlier.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos
Dan106
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So the person who sold me this contract lied then
0 Kudos
grahamking
Dialled in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Stephen_B wrote:

Hi Dan106,

Thanks for your reply.

Looking at the area around your works there is quite a gap between some of the masts. There are only 2 masts close to your work from what I can see. This may cause congestion particularly if you have a lot of other users connecting to those masts.

Regarding the fair usage policy for customers who joined after 25th June 2012 the threshold when fair usage kicks in is at 3.5GB and for pre 25th June 2012 the threshold is 2GB before the fair usage policy will kick in. It may explain things a bit better in the link I provided earlier.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Hi Stephen_B,

How does the fair use policy work with tariffs where the data allowance is above the stated fair use amount?

For example you do a SIM only deal for £15 which includes 4GB of data (and that's not even the highest available).  As someone who has been a customer from around 2008/2009, would my speeds then start being throttled once I pass the 2GB mark?  If so it seems a bit daft to sell me a tariff allowing me to use 4GB, but decide I'm being unfair if I use more than 2GB?

I understand why networks have those policies, but I'd have thought you'd have to use more than that before your usage started to look suspicious for a non-business user.

For example, I'm on a 500MB data plan at the moment and now routinely go over that, sometimes nearer the 800MB mark.  That's with me having to be a real bean counter with my usage, not downloading apps/updates/streaming anything over 3G etc, so I can see how I would easily use a lot amount more than that just from being a bit more relaxed about it, yet still without using it on an industrial scale!

Looking at changing plan in the next month so interested to know this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Grahamking

0 Kudos