Menu
simonsays
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why do we need new SIM to use 4G?

Why do we need a new SIM to use 4G, the SIM looked exactly the same as the one it replaced?  Is there really any difference?  The original SIM was not that old.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do we need new SIM to use 4G?

Yes there is a difference, otherwise Virgin wouldn't have need to ask people to change them.

And to be honest, just because they look the same from the outside (which they'd need to be in order to be compatible with the phones), doesn't mean there aren't changes to the inside or how they talk to the network.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
simonsays
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Do they still issue non-4g compatible SIMs?  I thought maybe every new SIM issued is now 4g compatible, especially if they are backwards compatible  and will work in old phones as well?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No they won't be sending out old 3g Sims anymore, even the people staying on 3g are being sent out the new upgraded Sims.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

For Pay Monthly, Virgin Media only sell 4G Tariffs now, so all new SIMs will be 4G compatible.

Even for PAYG I'd expect that new SIMs are now 4G compatible to make it easier for people to move from PAYG to Pay Monthly.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos