Menu
Hotshot-Rasher
Tuning in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Why do i keep getting the premium texts i did not sign up for them it is a total rip off.

Why do i keep getting the premium texts i did not sign up for them it is a total rip off. Virgin don't want to know about them, all they tell you is when you receive one, you have to send a message back and type in STOP ALL.

Tags (1)

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why do i keep getting the premium texts i did not sign up for them it is a total rip off.

If you post the premium number that is texting you, a member of the Forum Team here will be able to check if they can find the company behind it and tell you the number to text to, to get the costly text messages stopped. But they only have so much information in that regards. Also, a member of the community may also be familiar with the number and therein able to help.

In a worst case scenario, a number change may be a consideration/need.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why do i keep getting the premium texts i did not sign up for them it is a total rip off.

Try forwarding them to 7726 (a free text).  They will reply and ask you to send the mobile number that the spam text came from.  Reply with this info and they will investigate.  Since doing this for every spam text I receive they have pretty much dried up.

kencar
Joining in
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've received one of these premium texts 3 Saturdays in a row. I never asked for them or even read the message thinking it was just spam. I've since discovered I've been charged £4.50 for each of them!!

The number shows up as 700046825. No idea what they say as I just deleted them without paying any attention.

If anyone can tell me how to stop these I would be most grateful

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Hotshot-Rasher,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear you're receiving premium text messages.

I'm afraid we have no control over who sends the text messages. Sending STOP or STOP ALL would usually do the trick. I recommend keeping track of all messages to see if they're from the same number each time.

As Shelke suggested, please post the number that is texting you and we can see if we have the contact details of the company. If we do then we can pass these on to you.

Please update me when you can.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi kencar,

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you're also receiving premium text messages.

I've checked the number provided against our master list and it does not show up. With new numbers being created daily it can be hard to keep track of everyone. Maybe a quick Google search will reveal more.

Next time you get a message then read what it says. Most of them have an opt-out number which you can reply to. You would usually reply STOP or STOP ALL to this or as instructed.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
Hotshot-Rasher
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Rich-B, many thanks for getting back to me on this subject. The numbers are 32232665, X6 of them. 79226673269, X 8 of them. I have sent a message to them and said STOP ALL. Regarding to changing my number i have already done this.

Regards.
Hotshot-Rasher
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Hotshot-Rasher,

Thanks for providing me with that information.

I'm afraid those numbers are not on our master list either. They're not your usual 5 digit short code numbers.

I did a Google search on 32232665 and found it's possibly relating to Facebook. I also did a search on 79226673269 but couldn't find anything of use.

Have you tried Graham_A's suggestion?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
kencar
Joining in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just got another message today which I read. Used the stop number they provided which was 84508. Also a landline number of 0191 654 2109. Googling reveals nothing about them. The text has a link to a website called saucy-babes.com!! Not in any hurry to open that link!!!

Complete pain in the **bleep** this and has cost me £18!!

0 Kudos
Hotshot-Rasher
Tuning in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi all, i like to thank you for the surjections. I have sent back the  premium text STOP ALL to all of them, one company replied back tell me that they will remove me from their mailing list.

Thank you for all your help,

Hotshot-Rasher 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

One peice of advice that I haven't seen on here is contacting PhonePayPlus (who used to be called ICSTIS).

They are the main regulatory body for premium rate services.

https://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

alpha123
Up to speed
Message 12 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I did that a while back for texts i received, basiclt got told they cant stop it and id have to pay.

virgin also wanted nothing to do with it.

my question is this though. if I didnt sign up for something but the texts come through, and stop all dosnt stop it

and the money keeps getting charged

why dont virginhave a last line of defence to block it.

ive seen countless examples of peoples numbers bein signed upto stuff by third partys then they get charged for it.

Its basicly theft

Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

alpha123 wrote:

I did that a while back for texts i received, basiclt got told they cant stop it and id have to pay.

virgin also wanted nothing to do with it.

my question is this though. if I didnt sign up for something but the texts come through, and stop all dosnt stop it

and the money keeps getting charged

why dont virginhave a last line of defence to block it.

ive seen countless examples of peoples numbers bein signed upto stuff by third partys then they get charged for it.

Its basicly theft

Nobody is arguing with that last statement.

There is a last line of defence - it's changing your number, which you can do once per year (for free). If changing your number isn't an option for you, then you need to root out the organisation sending these texts and

• get them to stop
  • issue a refund

It's your responsibility, not Virgin's. Virgin are unable to establish which charges are from legitimate sources and which are not.

Do you browse the internet from your phone?

alpha123
Up to speed
Message 14 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

But thats what im saying is the main issue. Having to change your number because you have no way of canceling unauthorized charged to your own number.

I had these a while back I spoke to that company who told me I had to have text them to be charged despite my phone being on the side unused.

Virgin also could see I hadnt text them first but were insistant only the company could refund me who wouldnt as they decided I had to have texted them first which as I said I hadnt and even virgins records show.

Now despite that no one would refund it as they just blamed th eother party.

Having to change your number  is a drastic measure that isnt a realistic option a number is someones property.

. At the end of the day All im saying is we should have an option even a simple of tickbox of llow premium messages on/off

Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

alpha123 wrote: 

Virgin also could see I hadnt text them first but were insistant only the company could refund me who wouldnt as they decided I had to have texted them first which as I said I hadnt and even virgins records show.

There are loads of ways for these scam companies to get your number, without you sending them any texts. In fact, the places like X Factor are the least likely avenues for repeated premium text issues, just because of the potential scandal if they were found to be selling lists of mobile numbers after they made their own money out of it.

In my opinion (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) the two biggest vectors are social media sites and your handset itself.

If your phone number is a part of your facebook public profile, you're gonna get scammed.

If your phone number is in the settings menu for the handset, and you browse sites with adverts on them, you're gonna get scammed.

The facebook one is obvious. The handset one, not so much.

Basically, your mobile browser might give your phone number to any website that asks for it (it will also give your location and other details) depending on your settings. All it takes for an unscrupulous company to start taking your money is for them to create an advert that gets served to you by google on any ad-supported page you visit. The company can then text you several times before you work out how to stop it.

I like your idea of an on/off setting for premium texts. There's probably an OFCOM code that disallows it...

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Hotshot-Rasher,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear the premium text messages have returned.

I've replied to your post here.

To avoid confusion please respond to me on that one.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Hotshot-Rasher
Tuning in
Message 18 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi  I have made contact  with ******** who are very helpful.

I had to register with them, will cost me £49.99 for life. Lot of money for this, i was guaranteed that this would be the end of premium texts. I was told if one gets through then i should phone up Sophie on 02921 280 208 then that would be the end of it she told me that she would get it stopped and i would not receive any more. I hope that this works out, after all premium texts costing anything around £1.50 a time. After 33 texts it will pay for its self, after all i have had that amount all ready before i came across **********

Regards,

Hotshot Rasher

[MOD EDIT: Advertising (Third party referral link) removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you post the premium number that is texting you, a member of the Forum Team here will be able to check if they can find the company behind it and tell you the number to text to, to get the costly text messages stopped. But they only have so much information in that regards. Also, a member of the community may also be familiar with the number and therein able to help.

In a worst case scenario, a number change may be a consideration/need.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try forwarding them to 7726 (a free text).  They will reply and ask you to send the mobile number that the spam text came from.  Reply with this info and they will investigate.  Since doing this for every spam text I receive they have pretty much dried up.

kencar
Joining in
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've received one of these premium texts 3 Saturdays in a row. I never asked for them or even read the message thinking it was just spam. I've since discovered I've been charged £4.50 for each of them!!

The number shows up as 700046825. No idea what they say as I just deleted them without paying any attention.

If anyone can tell me how to stop these I would be most grateful

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Hotshot-Rasher,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear you're receiving premium text messages.

I'm afraid we have no control over who sends the text messages. Sending STOP or STOP ALL would usually do the trick. I recommend keeping track of all messages to see if they're from the same number each time.

As Shelke suggested, please post the number that is texting you and we can see if we have the contact details of the company. If we do then we can pass these on to you.

Please update me when you can.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi kencar,

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you're also receiving premium text messages.

I've checked the number provided against our master list and it does not show up. With new numbers being created daily it can be hard to keep track of everyone. Maybe a quick Google search will reveal more.

Next time you get a message then read what it says. Most of them have an opt-out number which you can reply to. You would usually reply STOP or STOP ALL to this or as instructed.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
Hotshot-Rasher
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Rich-B, many thanks for getting back to me on this subject. The numbers are 32232665, X6 of them. 79226673269, X 8 of them. I have sent a message to them and said STOP ALL. Regarding to changing my number i have already done this.

Regards.
Hotshot-Rasher
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Hotshot-Rasher,

Thanks for providing me with that information.

I'm afraid those numbers are not on our master list either. They're not your usual 5 digit short code numbers.

I did a Google search on 32232665 and found it's possibly relating to Facebook. I also did a search on 79226673269 but couldn't find anything of use.

Have you tried Graham_A's suggestion?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
kencar
Joining in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just got another message today which I read. Used the stop number they provided which was 84508. Also a landline number of 0191 654 2109. Googling reveals nothing about them. The text has a link to a website called saucy-babes.com!! Not in any hurry to open that link!!!

Complete pain in the **bleep** this and has cost me £18!!

0 Kudos
Hotshot-Rasher
Tuning in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi all, i like to thank you for the surjections. I have sent back the  premium text STOP ALL to all of them, one company replied back tell me that they will remove me from their mailing list.

Thank you for all your help,

Hotshot-Rasher 

0 Kudos