Menu
pbolding
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Why do I get spurious roaming charges?

I had this problem several years ago and it has recurred.

My bill when I was in Croatia for a few days includes roaming charges for eight calls never made. All are to different UK mobile numbers in the 07953 range that belongs to EE. They vary in amount. I have tried all the numbers; none connect and they are not in my log so clearly I never called them.

I have called CS and got the charges removed but the person clearly did not really believe me and denied this had ever happened before. Well it has and it shocks me that you cannot fix it.

0 Kudos
pbolding
Tuning in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do I get spurious roaming charges?

Just had the bill for a different number (my wife's) and the same problem has arisen - two spurious charges for calls to 07953 numbers that were not made.

In this case, both are at exactly the same time as incoming roaming calls. So it's clear the network generates a message back to EE and I get charged. 

CS person let slip after talking to a supervisor that this was caused by call divert and that the problem was known about. Actually I see it's an issue that goes back years.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4186965&highlight=07953

It's possible that lots of people are being hit with these charges. Is anyone from VMobile prepared to address the underlying problem here?

CS have removed my charges but I don't want to have to check bills with a fine-toothed comb.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pbolding,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear about these charges. This sounds very strange indeed! I'm going  to have a chat with a colleague regarding this to see what we know about this. I'll be back in touch as soon as possible with further info.

Thanks for your patience.

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi pbolding,

Thanks for your patience while I look into this for you. Can you confirm that while travelling you received no calls that went to voicemail?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
pbolding
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I can confirm that in the case of the eight calls to my mobile (my first post above).

In the case of the other bill (my wife's) I don't know because she's abroad again now but as I mentioned, the bill does show incoming roaming calls at the same time. Would that be chargeable if they went to voicemail? And would that be shown in this opaque way on the bill? I hope not.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pbolding,

Thanks for coming back to me Smiley Happy

If the calls go to Voicemail while you're roaming, then you would be charged for the incoming call I'm afraid as the phone is still accepting the call via Voicemail.

Our team can disable voicemail for you the next time you travel if you'd like. Just give us a quick call on 789 or 0345 6000 789.

Let me know if you have any further questions on roaming.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
pbolding
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I don't get that; incoming calls are free in the EU. What is the charge for if it goes to voicemail?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi pbolding,

Thanks for replying Smiley Happy

If the call goes to Voicemail, you would be charged the cost of making a call twice times by the duration of the voicemail.

The charge for making a call in Croatia is 16p. The charge would be 32p times by the duration of the voicemail.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
imogene
Up to speed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

this is wrong... roaming 'tromboning' of voicemail messages is not allowed in the EU. The cost of receiving a voicemail in Croatia should be zero, as the OP stated.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If the charges really relate to voicemail diverts then surely they would all be to the same destination number? The OP says there are eight charges to differing numbers.

0 Kudos