Menu
Vyt
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why are the numbers given in the help using your phone abroad out of service?

I'm in Europe, my phone will not let me make outgoing calls since I arrived a week ago. I've tried calling the numbers suggested in the "help" section but all I get is this service is not in use. I'm in Europe for another 4 weeks what am I supposed to do in case I need my phone in  an emergency. I am disabled and rely on my phone. 

Looks like going back to orange when I get home. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why are the numbers given in the help using your phone abroad out of service?

Vyt - Welcome to the Forum

Trying to get roaming working when you are already out of the UK can be an issue (the networks will struggle to recognise that you have a UK phone).

VM do not automatically switch roaming on except for PAYG accounts.  Mobile phone companies are constantly berated for allowing their customers to run up huge roaming bills. It is sensible therefore to ask contract customers to opt-in. So you may have to do it yourself or ask for it to be done before you go.

If you have internet access abroad you can switch roaming on yourself  or check that it is on by logging into your VM mobile account, and looking under the plan and device tab.

Otherwise the number to ring is +44 7953 967 967.  The UK short dialling codes won't work outside the UK (so 789 won't get you anywhere).

Hope this helps.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Vyt
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why are the numbers given in the help using your phone abroad out of service?

If only it were so simple.

I have been onto the website to check that roaming is on, and it is. I have turned it off and on again using the website and it made no difference.

I have called the number you suggested a number of times and it just cuts out after a couple of rings.  

Looking on the forum another suggestion is to ring 03456000789 but that is just a multi-lingual message saying the number is not in service.

I have even rebooted the phone and still I cannot get roaming.

I tried a live chat message this morning but by the time I phoned the number they gave me, which gave a message saying it was out of service, and got back to my tablet computer they had signed off and left a message asking if they had been helpful. 

I am just left feeling frustrated. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Try +44 345 6000 789. You need the international format version of the number. Other than persistence I have little else to advise. One of the Forum team should read this thread and may be able to offer advice.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Vyt
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So you're telling me there is no customer service from virgin whilst I'm abroad. I find the situation I'm in as disgraceful. I'm over here for a month and you will merrily take my monthly payments and I get nothing. 

Guess what? The first thing I do when I get back to the UK is kick virgin in to touch and us a provider which allows me to use my phone overseas without any issues and provide some support.

I find it hard to understand why I can not speak to virgin direct  over the phone. I thought they deal with communication but perhaps I'm mistaken. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Vyt - with respect, I'm not telling you anything. I don't work for VM. I'm a user like you just offering the best advice I can from my own experience and that of others who post on this Forum.

Your frustration is understandable. I'd probably feel like that if I were in your position. I rely on my mobile for roaming.

I do hope a VM Forum team member will pass by and offer more advice than I have been able to do.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Vyt
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,  I apologise. My rant wasn't aimed at you but at virgin media. I thank you for the help you've offered it's just so frustrating not being able to speak to virgin. 

Once again I apologise and am grateful for the advice you've given.

Best regards Vyt. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A gracious reply. I wasn't trying to have a go at you either. Just wanted to keep the record straight.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Vyt,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to here your having issues roaming whilst abroad. Appreciate this is frustrating.

I can see HowardML has been giving you some good advice which is great.

You've already checked Your account online which would have been my first suggestion. There maybe some settings on the phone that need adjusting. You could try the following:

Turn your phone off and then back on again.

Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.

Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on – this helps reboot it and find a local network.

Let us know if this helps at all.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos