Menu
mtinning
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why am I being charged premium rate for calls to a normal mobile since 1st December

since 1st December my daughters and I (all virgin mobile customers) are being charged premium rate for calls to a normal mobile, which has always been included in my package before. Also when I call this number it says it's barred. 

Any ideas why?

Ljones92998
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why am I being charged premium rate for calls to a normal mobile since 1st December

Hiya
I'm having the same problem between mine and myou husbands numbers, I rang 789 and was told their is an issue with numbers beginning 074 and they are working to get this sorted out but cannot give a time frame! Hoping they sort this soon as I've already been charged lots of times for texts without realising and also getting the 'barred' message every time I try to call him!
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why am I being charged premium rate for calls to a normal mobile since 1st December

Hi mtinning

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch regarding your experience with your mobile phone billing and troubles calling a specific number.

As Ljones92998 has pointed out, we are currently investigating an issue where Virgin Mobile customers are unable to call some UK mobile numbers that begin with the 074 prefix. When calling the number our customers are hearing the message "Sorry, calls to this number are barred".

We have also been made aware that when sending SMS to the same numbers beginning with 074, customers are being charged 15p as if they have been sending a premium SMS.

I understand this is causing frustration amongst those affected and we will post any updates as we get them.

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

paperclip
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've just created a thread about something similar when texting the word ACCOUNT to 80150 and it's being classed as a premium text not in tariff and charge is 3p.
0 Kudos
elch
Hanging out
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Been having exactly the same issues between Virgin and Plusnet! Utterly bizarre how my "074" number is now suddenly premium and how it has taken so long for it to be resolved- first noticed the problem on Thursday and of the phone agents I've been in contact with both parties are blaming Virgin. Most annoying is how there's been no public statement or any indication publicly that there's an issue. Appreciate that PR want to keep it closed doors and whatnot but transparency is infinitely more appealing to customers.

0 Kudos
Ljones92998
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes this is defiantly true I think all customers should have been made aware of this, I was previously on Life mobile and ported my number to virgin recently from them, they have now changed over to Plusnet so think this is where the problem lies. I think its awful as me and my husband cannot contact each other and this has been well over a week now with still no resolution, also been charged 15p vice versa to each other so now cannot text either as the bill is just going up and up, another thing I was not made aware of by virgin I had to tell them! And been told I will be reimbursed but not until they have fixed the issue so I have to pay extra on top of both our bills for something which isn't my fault! Not a great start considering I've only just joined virgin mobile! Am hoping this is resolved asap as it's not fair on the customers especially if your main contact/s numbers start with 074!
0 Kudos