Menu
lukudavX
Tuning in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Who does "Premium text received 700046078" refer to? Does anyone know?

I don't just want the shortcode to stop the texts, I need the company name. (And of course who they are hiding behind.)

Any help gratefully received.

Luk

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Who does "Premium text received 700046078" refer to? Does anyone know?

Hi Luk,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you've been charged for these texts. I've looked into this on my side and I'm unable to find the name of the company behind this.

I'll leave this open to our community to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to this

Phone pay plus regulate UK premium rate services. Try contacting them to see if they can also do a bit of digging

if you do get anymore text messages , i would always reply with STOP ALL .

hope this helps

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
gillyb2
Joining in
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I've just received my latest bill and I have 3 on there, can I do anything about it? Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at this thread - there appears to be an answer. Slightly different number but I bet it's the same people

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/premium-text-number-700046085/td-p/3083265

0 Kudos
gillyb2
Joining in
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply, I've been in touch with Virgin and they have given me a number to phone with a short code to punch in, but no-one was available!!!! will try again Friday when I'm not at work :-(
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

How are you getting on with this Gillyb2?

Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
gillyb2
Joining in
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi I rang Virgin and they gave me a number to phone with a short code to punch in when asked for but.....surprise, surprise, no one available to take your call, please leave your name and number and short message and we'll get back to you.....or something along those lines, I've tried twice now and left messages both times and zilch. Was a bit disappointed with Virgin, they gave me some free minutes, but after I put the phone  down to them, I realised I have unlimited calls on my mobile anyway, and phone anytime on my landline with them......doh

0 Kudos
CJAPeterborough
Tuning in
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

My wife has just been hit with a charge to 700046078 and hasnt a clue how it happened other than replying to a supposed Morrisons offer of some

kind whilst online and giving her moblie number.

She says a STOP message was sent immediately to 66299....these are shown as entries on the bill sequentially on 3rd June

I called Virgin and my first concern was to make sure that these charges could be stopped and the number barred ..apparently this cant be done.

I was told that the charge would be refunded during my first call to Virgin but after waiting no refund had appeared.

I called Virgin again and was told NOT to expect a refund ....the advice given was to send another STOP message to 66299 which has been done and off course we have been charged again for this privilege.

In the interim we have tried emailing and calling the Company responsible for this scam but suprise suprise no response at all despite messages left etc

Short code 66299

Support number 03333 137900

customercare.uk@oxygen8.com

Apparently these number relate to a Company called Oxygen8 Communications but the number also appear to be linked to

half a dozen others too according to Phonepay Plus.

So how do folk deal with this as frankly imho it is blatant fraud!

Is the only real option now to change mobile number, provider or both?

0 Kudos
Whiskeymanuk
Tuning in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I had the same number appear on my wife's phone bill, this month.

She only ever uses the phone to text, or phone the kids, and the occasional call to the local BBC radio station, so we were really surprised to see £4.50 plus another 10p for the reply, on the bill. I looked through the call and SMS logs, and neither the 700046078, nor the 66299 appear in the logs, and according to VM, we must have deleted them.

I had three conversations, today, with "Customer Service" in some potentially South East Asian location. The first said that I would get a refund, and I got cut off while they went off to phone the offending Company. The second call to Hu, resulted in me having to send a text message to 66299 with a STOP ALL message. Then he asked me to text 700046078, with the same message. When I told him that the network said it was a non-existant number, and was asking for the country code, he seemed surprised, and immediately cut me off. The third call, went through everything I had previously discussed, and said that I needed to contact the offending Company and find out what the charge was for. When I pointed out that there were several companies linked to the 66299 number, she said that Virgin only had it against one which was Oxygen8, and they should be able to tell me who sent the message. When I suggested that we never received, or sent any text messages, she said it was really easy to delete messages.

I don't want to contact the "Parent" company, because I suspect that it would open a whole new can of worms, and result in a flood of £4.50 fictitious premium rate messages.

Although we have fairly effective call blockers, on our phones, I haven't yet found one that works perfectly for SMS messages, so if anyone out there can suggest one, it would be appreciated.

Like you, I believe that this is a scam. My wife never quotes her mobile number, in fact, she couldn't tell you what it is, so someone, out there, has and probably is continuing, to make a fast buck, by sending premium rate messages, to un-suspecting people, who get charged as soon as they receive it.

0 Kudos