Menu
DawnPhillips
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Who called my voicemail?

How do I find out who called my voicemail, the number is not in my missed calls and my call log just shows " voicemail " 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Who called my voicemail?

Are you sure it's not your outbound call in the call log? Voicemail doesn't ring you.

Also, if someone rings while you're on a call or your phone is off, you probably won't see the inbound number. You'll just have to hope that the caller left their number on the message.

0 Kudos
DawnPhillips
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, this had been driving me mad, no the caller never left their number in the message, she presumed I had it as she called me from the number she wanted me to call her back on. I've lost a job now that was offered. I don't believe other suppliers cause this problem I'm sure I'll get over it, thank you for your time and your help.
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The voicemail system does log the provided number of the caller. To hear it - after you have listened to the message you will be presented with a list of options, one of them is 'message envelope' (iirc 4), select that and test out your ninja pen skills writing the number down. You can repeatedly listen as required.

As an aside, I'm not really inspired by that (her) presumption TBH.
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This sounds like the long standing unresolved problem that dates back to the merger of Orange into T-Mobile. Virgin was created as a virtual network operation overlaid onto the T-Mobile infrastructure. As a result of the merger free roaming was then permitted onto what was the Orange network but the overlay seems to suffer integration problems to this day.

The symptoms are that you can have a full strength signal on your phone yet it doesn't ring when called. The call diverts straight to voicemail and you don't see a missed call logged. If the calling party doesn't leave a voicemail then you won't ever know you were called. If you switch off voicemail altogether then callers get a message to the effect that the destination phone (ie your mobile) is unreachable.

Walk down the road a bit and inbound calls will ring and properly connect. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
AndyT8
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Until Virgin Media so called "upgraded" their voicemail service you could simply request to hear the "message envelope" that gave the details of the time and the number of the caller leaving the message. This was very useful in many circumstances - not least to make sure you ring them back on their correct number as even friends you recognise have home, work, mobile numbers these days so not obvious which phone they were using when they called you.

Please Virginmedia put this feature back asap. It cant be difficult as you did it with the old system.
AndyT8
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Magic_M : that was the old voicemail system. Virginmedia forcibly upgraded me to the new voicemail system the other week and they have removed this most useful feature "hear the message envelope" from it now. As well as removing features like this they have also changed around the numbers you use - 2 to save, 3 to delete rather than 9 to save and 7 to delete as it used to be.

Virgin - if you are listening please put the message envelope feature back in.
jazzabrazza
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nothing to do with poor reception or the T Mobile/Orange merger or whether or not the phone was off. What used to be the case up until the recent change was that if you missed a call and it went to voicemail and they left a message, you could retrieve the caller's number reliably and simply by pressing 5 to hear the message envelope. if they left their number clearly audible in the message, fine, but often it is hard to make out due to poor sound quality. The message envelope facility used to provide a simple means of obtaining a number, unless the caller witheld it. If they didn't get through to voicemail then they appear in your missed calls list but if they do go through to voicemail your only sure way to identify them was the message envelope.

This feature no longer exists in the new system, which is definitely NOT an improvement.

As well as scouring these forums to no avail for a solution, I have spent some time now on the helplines to try and find out what has happened and if it is possible to access callers numbers when they leave voicemail, as they don't appear in my missed calls list and message envelope access is nowhere to be seen. Typically EVERY support person I have spoken to is either completely ignorant of the situation or gives me information which is simply not true. Nobody has been able to give me a simple yes or no answer as to whether or not the message envelope function is still there or not. This is after calling several times and speaking to different people and even being passed on to "technical support". All about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

This is a MAJOR balls up, Virgin Mobile. It renders your voicemail useless to me and is a deal breaker unless fixed very soon. If not, I WILL be switching mobile provider and telling everyone I know why I have done so. Over to you.

0 Kudos
jazzabrazza
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I actually spoke yesterday to someone on their helplines who had what sounds like hard information on it rather than a load of ignorant flannel as had previously been the case. I was told that this feature was not currently available in their new voicemail system but that it would be implemented on or just after August 11th.

God only knows why they have done this, launching a half baked new improved system (possibly they have just reinstated it as a result of complaints) but the guy was quite definite about it. I did spell out to him that I would be switching provider if it didn't appear by that date.

So, hopefully by August 11th there will be again be an option to "hear the message envelope", which will allow you to check the number of a caller who leaves a message (unless they have withheld their number).

Hope this helps everyone.

0 Kudos
ncbr
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I do not know about the message envelope.

All I know is that when my phone is OFF or without coverage, I do not get a Missed call alerts after.

I do not want to use voicemail for this because text messages are only sent if people stay at the phone and ear the complete message from voicemail (which they often do not) and agree on doing that.

I am pretty sure this was possible in the past (before August), and I know that networks like O2 provide this service for free.

Please, any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos