Menu
magb
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Where do I find in Terms and Conditions how many characters in texts whilst abroad.

Can some one tell me where I find in the Terms and Conditions how many characters you can use in a text whilst abroad before having to pay for extra texts.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where do I find in Terms and Conditions how many characters in texts whilst abroad.

It won't be in your terms and condition as it's not specific to Virgin Media.

Text Messages are part of the mobile standard, so a text message is classed as 160 characters. Most phones will show this when you write out your text and before you send it.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
BettyS32
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where do I find in Terms and Conditions how many characters in texts whilst abroad.

If I am understanding your reply correctly, if I write a text of 170 characters (for example) I will be charged for two texts- is that correct?

My iPhone doesn't 'count' the characters so I can only work out by physically counting. It won't matter in the UK, but abroad you clearly want to send longer texts rather than pay for short one or two word texts, but really could do with being alerted that you are over the 1 text limit. Another iPhone disapointment I guess!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BettyS32 wrote:

If I am understanding your reply correctly, if I write a text of 170 characters (for example) I will be charged for two texts- is that correct?

Or possibly three texts!

I don't have an iPhone* so I can't confirm, but it seems that there is an extensive list of "emojis" available on the iPhone that isn't there on my Galaxy S4. After a bit of offline experimenting with another user (cheers @teabag) it seems that for me to be able to send such icons, I need to use the Unicode character set. It follows that the iPhone must also use Unicode - either permanently, or per-message if it detects the need to during composition. A single unicode text message has a maximum length of 70 characters

It's also worth noting that there are a few "control characters" used when sending long texts. These allow the recipient's handset to glue multiple messages back together in the correct order, so the boundaries for multiple messages are not at multiples of 160 or 70.

TL;DR - if you use a Unicode Emoji such as  👉 in your example 170 character message, you can expect it to use three SMS texts in length.

* There is one in the house, but I don't have access to it to test. To quote my wife, I'll have to "pry it from her cold, dead fingers"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BettyS32 wrote:

My iPhone doesn't 'count' the characters so I can only work out by physically counting.

If you go to Settings/Messages there is a character count setting which you can switch on. It puts a barely-visible count over the "send" button.

I've also just confirmed that a single text message from an Apple phone goes from 160 characters to 70 if you include an emoji.

0 Kudos