Menu
Chongalolo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When will Virgin introduce calls and texts over wifi in the same way as EE have done?

EE have now introduced proper wifi calls and texts - largely to compensate for their lousy signal coverage indoors - but this is a huge step forward in staying connected and improving their services. I know only a few phone types are covered at the moment but this will improve over time, and there is no charge for this service.

Given that Virgin uses the same network, are there plans to follow suit with wifi calling? If so when? And if not, why not?

Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: When will Virgin introduce calls and texts over wifi in the same way as EE have done?

Hi Chongalolo,

Thanks for posting your query with us.

We do offer the option to make calls over WiFi by using our Smartcall app.

Smartcall is available to Virgin land line customers.

I've provided a link here to our Smartcall help pages

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: When will Virgin introduce calls and texts over wifi in the same way as EE have done?

virign is a virtual network they use what ee will allow

why allow them to have everything if it means actully having to compete
0 Kudos
Chongalolo
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I take your point but as I have the same terrible indoor coverage with virgin due to the EE carrier, I may well be changing at the end of this contract unless virgin go the same way.
0 Kudos
Chongalolo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response Stephen _.B but the smart call app works very differently. using that would mean I have to hook into my home phone plan using wifi and as I do not have unlimited calls on the land line it would actually cost me more. It is a bit disingenuous to suggest this as an alternative to a wifi connection to the network which is at no extra cost and has no impact on my home phone. Thanks anyway.
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK SmartCall will not even work if your not on XL landline package (cannot remember 100% TBH).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chongalolo,

Thanks for your replySmiley Happy

I'm sorry if I may have come across disingenuous that was not my intention. 

Just to follow on from this, the SmartCall app may offer you better value for money in the long term even though it may cost a little bit more to upgrade your land line package. 

The SmartCall app will not eat into your inclusive mobile minutes which is another added benefit of using it. 

Many thanks.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Chongalolo
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi again and sorry for leaving this for so long.

The smart call option is no option at all as it works in exactly the opposite way I am looking for. I already pay for inclusive minutes on my mobile contract and want to use these over wifi and not hook into my home phone. My question renains; do Virgin have any plans to introduce calls over wifi in the sme way EE have done ? My contract is up in six months and I will have to move given the hassle I have with the signal in my home
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chongalolo,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I have no news on a Wi-Fi calling app from Virgin currently I'm afraid. If this changes, I'll be sure to let you know. Sorry if this wasn't the news you were looking for.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Typo22
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Another customer here with a poor signal at home looking for this.

The Three inTouch app does the same thing, it appears. Come on Virgin, extract a digit!

0 Kudos