Menu
signorejambo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

When will VM launch 4G in the UK.

As the title says, really. I can't find and up-to-date information on this in the UK. I know in the US they've already rolled it out.

I am on a cracking deal at the moment, but as 4G gains better coverage (and now covers places I regularly visit) I'm now interested in having a 4G data plan, and it doesn't seem like VM are going to be able to offer that anytime soon. If there was something in the pipeline, I'm prepared to hang on, but with everybody being kept in the dark I wonder if it makes more sense to jump ship now while there are some cracking deals out there. 

Cheers,

Jay.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
candy1567
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: When will VM launch 4G in the UK.

I was in a virgin mobile store yesterday and they said that it will be 18 months to 2yrs before virgin go 4g

not sure how reliable this info is though

Juliex

0 Kudos
HungryMonkey
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I questioned this with one of the tech team as I show Virgin 4G (greyed out) when I do a network search. They said the system was currently under testing and should roll out towards the end of the year. Do not know how true that is?

Also as Virgin use EE (the largest 4G provider) I don't see why it should be much of an issue. It should also have EE's coverage. Wouldn't like to comment on pricing though.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

We've got no news on 4G currently.

I'm afraid the information my colleague gave was incorrect. There is no estimated launch date for 4G with us just yet.

If this changes, we'll be sure to post on the forums or on our announcements page here.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
spotify95
Superfast
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I honestly doubt VM will ever launch 4G. You're better off going to EE or Three.

0 Kudos
signorejambo
Tuning in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

As I feared, inconsistent information at best or totally wrong. I don't know why they would delay any rollout to general customers when, supposedly, it has been rolled out for business customers and in the US.

Thanks for all your responses guys.

0 Kudos
signorejambo
Tuning in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Something tells me they probably told you this to get you to sign up Smiley Tongue
0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I just want to forewarn you before you plunge into the 4g market.

Personally, I'm on three. Now, three use a frequency which can hardly penetrate a sheet of paper (Ok, I exaggerate slightly), but there has been concrete evidence that due to the high frequency three use, 4g will pretty much be a no-go indoors.

I have actually seen this happen (alot). I work all over the UK, and I pretty much live out of hotels.

In the car park outside, I got the following speed.

Indoors however, phone propped against the window to get any form of signal...

Some carriers "seem" good on paper, but in all honesty, do your research as to what area you are most likely to be in, and also what kind of building penetration they have.

Some are better than others.

I have 2 s4's myself. One for work, one personal, and I carry them both with me wherever I go.

Vodafone "generally" have better coverage in almost all the places I've been, but lack data plans.

Three, where signal has been available (I'd say in the hotels I've been in it has been less than 30% of the time), I have unlimited data.

It's a mixed bag really.

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!
0 Kudos
spotify95
Superfast
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Firstly... the 2nd screenshot shows you usong 3g not 4g. 3mbps is still a good speed over 3g (but not as good as 4g)
Further most carriers have got a piece of the 800Mhz bandwidth so that shouldnt be a problem.
Maybe you are using the 2600mhz band that three also use? As three use both 800MHz and 2600MHz.

Further, that would also affect 3g as 3g is 2100mhz...still a high frequency.
0 Kudos
Nex
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Spotify,

I was just trying to show a point of how drastically quick their signal vanished.

I was well aware of going from 4g to HSDPA. I made a point of saying "had to put the phone right up against the window to get signal".

The difference in location was about 15 meters direct LoS from point A to B, from outdoors, to indoors and a floor up. I was just pointing out that yes, 4g may be great, just don't expect good building penetration. (at least with three).

Random signature here... I'll get back to this some day!