Menu
Zara102
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When travelling in Europe on holiday I was charged each time I switched my phone on. How do I stop this?

What does this mean?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: When travelling in Europe on holiday I was charged each time I switched my phone on. How do I stop th

Hi Zara102,

what were you charged for?

If you can see the charge on your account, how is it shown?

Have you purchased an EU Data Travel Pass?
If so some apps will want to connect to data when available/allowed. This will come out of your data allowance.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Zara102
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: When travelling in Europe on holiday I was charged each time I switched my phone on. How do I stop th

I am charged a text fee each time as an automatic message comes up each time which is quite frustrating. I try to use free wifi wherever possible. Thanks for reply.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: When travelling in Europe on holiday I was charged each time I switched my phone on. How do I...

Hi Zara102

Sorry to learn about the trouble you're experiencing at the moment, thanks to AlexKid to as he's covered most of what I would haveMan Happy

As for making sure you're not being automatically connected to roaming, try the steps below.

Android phone : settings > more settings (or more network settings) > mobile networks > data roaming ( green tick is on, no tick off)
IPhone: settings > mobile data > mobile data options > data roaming slider ( green on – grey off)

The other option would be to make sure it's turned off on your account, which we can also help with so just let us know.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: When travelling in Europe on holiday I was charged each time I switched my phone on. How do I...

"As for making sure you're not being automatically connected to roaming, try the steps below.

Android phone : settings > more settings (or more network settings) > mobile networks > data roaming ( green tick is on, no tick off)
IPhone: settings > mobile data > mobile data options > data roaming slider ( green on – grey off)

The other option would be to make sure it's turned off on your account, which we can also help with so just let us know."

What has "data roaming" got to do with sending/receiving SMS messages? A data connection is not required at all for SMS to function, data could be left switched off. Receiving an SMS anywhere in the EU is supposed to be free regardless of tariff and PAYG or contract status. So unless the poster was outside the EU, there shouldn't be any charge levied at all?

The poster asked about being charged for an SMS message when the phone is powered on. This sounds like the mandatory cost advisory SMS that is supposed to be received within the EU every time the mobile roams from it's home network onto any other EU network. And should be free to receive.

If the charges are legitimate then the poster should have the option to opt out or switch off the messages? How to do so was the question asked?

@Zara102, what countries where you in when you received the charged SMS?

Zara102
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I was in Spain and the Spanish Islands and also agree that I shouldn't have been charged each time I switched on even to take a photo on my phone. Thanks for your response. I am off again soon and will raise this with Virgin.
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sending/receiving an SMS is not related to taking a photo.

If you are within the EU then receiving the SMS should be free even if your phone had no data capability at all.

Perhaps the phone camera is set to automatically sync the photos to somewhere like Dropbox, iCloud or Google Photos etc and that will require an internet connection of some sort. You need to make sure that the phone is set to upload/sync such photos or videos over wi-fi only so it doesn't use the mobile data network. The camera then stores the photos/videos on the phones memory card and then uploads them using the hotel wi-fi as opposed to real time. If the phone is set to use mobile data then it will consume your EU data roaming package if you have one, if not you will incur data roaming charges.

Apps will also try to update using mobile data unless told to update over wi-fi only. So you want to make sure that is also set correctly. You want the phone to be using the minimum amount of mobile data to avoid charges or consuming your package. Only use the mobile data for essential needs.

0 Kudos