Menu
Dom1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When connecting to my wifi network, does this eat into data allowance?

Hi there.

I have gone over my allowance for data (250MB) for this month (nearly 3 weeks before the end of the bill).

For the past 2 years I have averaged 170MB per month on O2 for data usage per month. Obviously not very much, but mainly because Im nearly always connected to wifi.

This is the first month using Virgin mobile & somehow I used 250MB in little over a week. Checked my bill & have been charged £1 a day for minuscule use these past few days.

I have called up to the helpline & the guy on the phone said that when I connect to Wifi, I need to turn off my data roaming, as this eats into the data allowance. 

Is this true? As I thought it was not the case. But I just cannot understand how I could have used so much data so quickly.

Really not happy, as I never had any problems with o2. Yet with Virgin its been issue after issue.

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: When connecting to my wifi network, does this eat into data allowance?

Thats the first time I've heard that ... as far as I know, turning on the wi-fi will override the data connection completely.

However, you mention "roaming". I assume you are in the UK on a UK handset with a UK tarrif, so the word "roaming" does not apply here.

Personally I think I would be tempted to ask for a log of data used. 

The only thing I can think of is that you have a new handset, and so most of the apps on your phone have taken the opportunity to update before you used wi-fi ??

0 Kudos
vwillcox
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Depends on the handset.

Mine will switch Wifi off when the phone is asleep but go-online at various points. If it can't connect to Wifi it will fall back to mobile data unless I turn it off.

And with the updates your phones do these days - it could use it up!

My Speed
300Mb/s.
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

actually, thats a good call , and kudos to you.

Mine has the ability to turn off the wi-fi when the screen is off so it saves battery power, so yes, as you say, the phone could take the opportunity to update at that point !
0 Kudos
vwillcox
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is also why I don't go for low-data allowances.

I'm on a 10Gb a month pack with EE and never have to worry about going over. Costs me a small bundle each month though.

My Speed
300Mb/s.
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have 5GB a month, but 4GB of this is free of charge.
When I joined EE, they offered connecting to BT wi-fi spots FREE of charge.

When I mentioned to them I could not connect, they told me they stopped doing it prior to my new contract starting. However, they were happy to offer me 4GB a month free for the live of my association with them.

More than happy to take it up !
0 Kudos