Menu
paperclip
Rising star
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Whatsapp Wifi Issue

Intermittently when I go to whatsapp on mobile the app just stops working until I turn off my home wifi, as soon as I do this the app starts to work as normal, and when I switch on wifi again the app continues to work normal until the next time when it will do this again.

I point out that it may be some days before the issue is back again, in other words it will continue to be fine on wifi until the issue decides to return.

I have reported this to whatsapp, and their auto reply seems to think that it's a privacy setting issue on whatsapp itself but it can't be as I have the privacy settings to show last seen times for all my contacts.

Is there a setting on my wifi configuration that could help with this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Whatsapp Wifi Issue

What happens if you reboot the handset, rather than rebooting the router?

My first thought is that WhatsApp is not detecting that your mobile is on a different IP address when the DHCP lease expires, but I can't believe that nobody has ever experienced that before.

If this is the problem, you'd just need to reserve an IP address for your handset on your home router.

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If my memory serves me correctly I think if I reboot the handset whatsapp will work normally similar to if I turn off the wifi, funny thing is though is that if I bring up all the apps in android memory and remove whatsapp from that list then whatsapp I'm sure works normally, I'll have to test that again just so I can replicate it.

Is it possible to reserve an IP address with Virgin?
0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Does our IP address change when the leases expire? I ask as when I check it under wifi settings or when I do a speed test the address is always the same.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

paperclip wrote:

Is it possible to reserve an IP address with Virgin?

I meant the IP address allocated to your handset by your home router.

It's a shot in the dark if I'm absolutely honest. I'm no expert in these matters. I can't think why WhatsApp would even need to know the internal IP address, let alone "remember" it. A way to test it, though, would be to set your router so the DHCP leases only last for an hour, then see if the problem becomes more frequent.

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How do you set this via the router and is it allowed by Virgin Media?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Will need to check the manual. I use the router modem supplied by Virgin as a modem only, and have my own router plugged into it.

There's no reason why Virgin should have a problem with certain aspects of their routers being modified by the user. If you can tinker with it without taking the screws off, it's fair game. If there's a setting you can change which will cause irrecoverable problems, the router really shouldn't be allowing the user to access it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There's a video on youtube that may help. It doesn't show how to change the DHCP lease duration, but it does show how you can force your mobile to have the same IP address every time you connect via wifi.

Note that even if this appears to fix the problem, it's not really conclusive. You need to be able to reliably replicate the problem to declare it fixed. If the problem goes away at the same time you try something out, you've no way of knowing for sure if it was your change or something else that effected the fix.

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, but I've already mentioned that my IP address for mobile never seems to change according to the report on phone and the speed test site.
0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

By the way my email client said that the embedded youtube link that you inserted was unavailable but when I hit on the forum link it then showed fine.
0 Kudos