Menu
Wile_E_Coyote
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Web access in Republic of Ireland

I can access the web from home in the UK but as I was visiting friends near Dublin who have a cap on their net access I thought I'd better buy a travel pass (for the first time). I did that and received the confirmation text but cannot access the web. I have tried ringing the 789 number over the last 4 days (each time warned I'll be charged at the local rate, whatever that will be on my next bill) but when I reach the last option to speak to someone I'm told that number is not available!

I've got a Nokia Lumia 620 with Windows 8 and have checked and re-checked the APN settings and they match those given on the VM help section (but as I noted, I can get access in the UK).

I've checked that Data Connection is on and that Data Roaming is set to roam but when I try to access the web I get the message "Error: Cannot find server or DNS error"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Wile_E_Coyote
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web access in Republic of Ireland

Out all day again and for the fourth day running I've tried all the available networks with no luck. So...

1) How do I get a refund on my Travel Pass.

and

2) Add the Republic of Ireland to the list of places not to bother trying to use your Virgin Mobile for web access.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wile_E_Coyote,

Sorry to hear you're having some problems here.

I want to get this all sorted for you Smiley Happy

It sounds like you've done all possible checks on your side. It's very likely that the problem may need to be fixed on our side. Data roaming may be turned off on our side and we may need to re-enable this for you.

Give us a call on +447953967967 and we'll get this looked into for you.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Wile_E_Coyote
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I checked and re-checked and I am listed as "Your Roaming is: Switched on - Pack your bags you're ready to go!" and has been for a number of years as I have used my phone (as a phone) in Tenerife. Do you think it needs disabling and re-enabling?

The only other thing I can think of for that setting is that I used to be PAYG (which is when it was enabled) and I'm now on the minimum monthly contract.

The section "How do I? >  Costs and coverage abroad > Ireland (Republic of)" doesn't help much as it lists 2 x O2, 2 x Vodafone and 2 x Meteor, 1 of each that provides WAP and 1 that doesn't.

I'm now back in the UK so won't be able to check if anything changes.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi wile_E_coyote,

Thanks for coming back to me Smiley Happy

With this, if you've moved to  Pay monthly, this will need to be re-enabled. Give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we'll get on the case.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Wile_E_Coyote
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Finally found time to hang on the line for an operator to answer today and there is some good and bad news:-

Good news 1 – I’ve checked my bill for the period I was in Ireland and although I was charged for the text I sent to the travel pass number – 23456 – I wasn’t charged the £6 for the pass itself! This despite receiving a text to say that the pass was active plus later ones to say that it was “still up and running” and even one at the end of the pass time to tell me I’d “got 1 more hour left”!

Good news 2 – The operator told me that I don’t have to wait until I’m abroad to buy a pass, I can phone them just before I go to set it up.

Bad news 1 – As I noted above, I was charged for the text I sent that didn’t work, plus all the calls I made trying to contact an operator to try to fix the problem while I was away.

Bad news 2 – I’m still no closer to finding out what the problem was/is.

Roll on the summer holidays so I try again.

Just done search for "Travel pass" here on the forum...let's just say that the story doesn't seem to have a happy ending...

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wile_E_Coyote,

I'm really sorry that you've still not got to the bottom of this.

I'm sure when you're next away, we can make sure that this is all working correctly.

Just as quick check. Can you let me know the full APN details you have on the phone?

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Wile_E_Coyote
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Summer holidays have come and gone Smiley Sad

As suggested, I bought my Travel Pass over the phone the day before leaving...all good so far...

Arrived in sunny cloudly Tenerife and...no internet access.

Rang Virgin Help Line and although it cost me £3.52 to sort out, they pinged my phone (despite my having done it before and their information saying that it was set to roam) and changed it to roam...sorted! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wile_E_Coyote,

Thanks for posting and letting us know.

Disappointing to hear it wasn't working when you first arrived in Tenerife and my sincere apologies for this but very pleased to hear we got this sorted for youSmiley Happy

If you need anything just get back to us.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos