Menu
Fluoresce9
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wasn't notified about large charges

Hi.

I'll be grateful for any help with this serious problem.

I received a text from Virgin Media on 23 January. It said "You're getting close to your mobile credit limit."

When I logged in to my online Virgin Mobile account, it said that I had recently been charged £299!

I got very worried.

I phoned Virgin Mobile. The lady said that I had exceed my minutes and had been charged for all calls made since 3 January!

Questions

1. Why was I not informed that I had exceed my minutes? Should I not have been sent a warning text?
  2. I remember checking my minutes on 13 January by calling 789 on my mobile. It said I still had many minutes left (can't remember how many). Why did it say I had many minutes left if I had exceeded them on 3 January?

This kind of thing has never happened before. If I knew I had exceeded my minutes, I would not have kept making calls!

£299 is a lot of money. Can anything be done about this, please?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wasn't notified about large charges

Hi Fluoresce9 Smiley Happy

If that was the case then I am baffled but again I would expect other users to post the same expressing the issue.

Unless you specify to customer services then its down to you I am afraid . Data is charged per £1 per day for exceeding the allowance even if you personally use the data or not. This is because handsets use background data where it checks for updates but still charges. Unlike a phone call is only charged when u make the phone call.. if you get my drift?

I would certainly recommend download the my virgin app so you can see your minutes and data allowances on the fly. The app is updated when your account does.

Don't apologise , I get the bill is a big shock and its quite understandable Smiley Happy

If you want this looked into further then I would either speak to customer services when the bill is printed. when the bill is printed then all charges and calls get calculated again . It would give a clearer indication on the bill..

Are you sure it didn't tell you your remaining data allowance. i.e if it said 300 mb of data and you mis heard it and thought it was minutes ?

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin put a credit limit on your account but this does not limit the number of minutes. Similar things happen on most networks.

£299 is a lot of money, so the first thing is to get an itemised call list for the month in question to check if there is something wrong.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fluoresce9,

I hope that you manage to get something sorted out with Virgin customer services.

I know this isn't much help to you now but whilst you are in contact with them ask them to reduce your credit limit (I believe the minimum is £50).

At least then it will prevent anything this bad happening in the future.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

AlexKid is correct. The minimum Virgin set as a credit limit is £50 however please don't rely on this to end the service when the limit is reached as you would still be liable for the calls

as the service agreement explains .

"6.2 Credit limits: We may set a monthly credit limit on your account that will be an amount we consider appropriate. We will let you know what this amount is if we do set a monthly credit limit. We may suspend your access to the Services if you exceed the limit. You should not use the credit limit for budgeting as the amount you owe is not capped or limited and you will still be liable if you exceed the credit limit we set!"

Virgin would give you access to check your minutes which are generally updated within about 15 minutes of the call ending .

For the bill to be at £299 , you must have exceed the minutes by quite a lot

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Fluoresce9
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all very much for your replies. :-)

Anyone here from Virgin Mobile who can answer the two questions, please? I'll be very grateful.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Questions
1.Why was I not informed that I had exceed my minutes? Should I not have been sent a warning text?
2.I remember checking my minutes on 13 January by calling 789 on my mobile. It said I still had many minutes left (can't remember how many). Why did it say I had many minutes left if I had exceeded them on 3 January?

In all honestly there would be no reason why it would say you had allowances left on the 13th then say you ran out on the 3rd. Calls are updated within 15 minutes and Virgin see the data and take it off the balance. A 10 day delay is unheard of and I don't think honestly in my experience the automated service would say so. The reason I say this is because all calls go through the same "billing" and "routing" system. if you had a 10 day delay , this would mean that everyone else would experience the same delay to which at present to my knowledge there are no issues

As for an alert. You can request a spending quota limit if you specify this to Virgin but it would be down to the user of the phone as a pay monthly sim to manage the usage. After all, how would Virgin know what you did or didn't want to spend and what you class as a "normal" bill . People would spend various amounts from 5 pounds to 500 pounds but the idea of a pay monthly sim is for a user to use the phone and not be limited or having to top up to use it

0 Kudos
Fluoresce9
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Lee_B.

I definitely checked my minutes on 13 January. It's in my call log. I called 789 for under a minute and listened to my balance. Virgin Mobile can check. The automated message said that I had a few hundred minutes left, which is why I didn't worry about making lengthy calls thereafter.

Am I not supposed to be informed when I come close to exhausting my minutes? I receive texts when I get close to exhausting my data. Is it not the same for exhausting minutes?

I was relying on being informed. I was confident that something was in place to let me know when I was in danger of exceeding my tariff.

Why text me only when I'm about to exhaust data and not minutes?! :-/

Sorry for the rant.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Fluoresce9 Smiley Happy

If that was the case then I am baffled but again I would expect other users to post the same expressing the issue.

Unless you specify to customer services then its down to you I am afraid . Data is charged per £1 per day for exceeding the allowance even if you personally use the data or not. This is because handsets use background data where it checks for updates but still charges. Unlike a phone call is only charged when u make the phone call.. if you get my drift?

I would certainly recommend download the my virgin app so you can see your minutes and data allowances on the fly. The app is updated when your account does.

Don't apologise , I get the bill is a big shock and its quite understandable Smiley Happy

If you want this looked into further then I would either speak to customer services when the bill is printed. when the bill is printed then all charges and calls get calculated again . It would give a clearer indication on the bill..

Are you sure it didn't tell you your remaining data allowance. i.e if it said 300 mb of data and you mis heard it and thought it was minutes ?

0 Kudos