Menu
rob2008
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

WHAT A BUNCH OF CROOKS

Just got my bill.  £5.57 for a call TO VIRGIN MEDIA for the purpose of offering them the opportunity to retain me as a customer as I'd found a better deal (£7.50 for 2GB data and far more minutes/sms than I need).

They did address that but they charged me £5.57 to make the call so guess who's about to switch to a different provider.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WHAT A BUNCH OF CROOKS

rob2008 wrote:

Disappointing that 6 months after my original posting VM have still not fixed the underlying problem just a cop out of: you should have known the "widely advertised" 789 number.

So widely advertised that when looking for the relevant number on the web site we stumble upon the 0845 alternative. A good place to "advertise" 789 would be on the same page of the web site - something like "08456000225 (£££ per call) current VM customers should call free on 789" - but that seems to imply they want to charge pre-sales callers £££ which is an odd stance - so just who are they targeting with the 0845?

where are you looking to find this 0845 6000 225 number?

I've had a look around numerous pages on their website and I can't see it anywhere.

The most predominantly displayed number on their main store page is a Freephone 0800 one:

vv.JPG

Elsewhere the most often one given is 0345 6000 789 (standard call rate).

If you can provide a link to the page on Virgins site where you are seeing this 0845 6000 225 number perhaps they would be happy to amend it.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi rob2008,

what number did you call on?

789 to Virgin Mobile customer services is FREE from a Virgin mobile.

0 Kudos
rob2008
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I didn't know that number so I used a number I'd found on the VM web site. I think you'll agree publishing a chargeable number for customers or potential customers to call suggests they don't really care about getting anyone's business. Sure you can say my own fault for not recognising 0845 meant £££ but the numbering system has become so confusing that I just assume any reputable company soliciting business isn't going to be stupid enough to charge callers. Anyway I'm just checking alternatives, the one that made me query VM in the first place is TalkMobile (2GB, 1000mins, 5000sms for £7.50) - compare with VM (250MB, 250mins, unlimited SMS £5), I'm just looking around before going there as I need far less voice/text and realistically 1GB of data is probably plenty, I've been managing on 250MB by being careful).
0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @rob2008

Could you please let us know the number so we can look into this for you?
As AlexKid says, its free to call us on 789.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
rob2008
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
bromham
Superfast
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 makes it unlawful for a supplier to advertise an 0845 number for post-contract customer service.

Can you clarify where you found this number?  If it was published as a customer contact number, VM have (by law) to refund the call cost.

rob2008
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Don't know exactly where I found it but I started looking by logging in to my VM account, the most charitable thing I can say is that the website navigation is garbage as it took me a while to find any contact number (never mind that it was a "let's exploit the caller" number). 

Anyway its immaterial now, I don't believe in second chances, I've got the PAC and signed up with another provider (& with a better deal).

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

We're sorry to lose you as customer rob2008 Smiley Sad

We would love to have you back with us in the not too distant future.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Toony
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I have just had the same problem. I have been a VM Customer back when it was NTL I had my TV< Home Phone, Broadband and Mobile with them. My wife and I were perfectly happy with our Blackberry Phone, at the beginning of evry month a day would be spent on the phone to Tech Services trying to get BIS back.

Finally I took the hint and upgraded to Samsungs, I went over my Data in the first month through setting it up and playing around with it etc  What annoyed me was I did all this whilst at home and over my home WiFi. A call to VM and I was informed that I should turn off my Data and just use WiFi when at home because the phone uses your Data first!!!!!!

So not only do I get charged for going over my Data Allowance unknowingly I was charged £6 for the call as on my Mobile Bill it has 08456000225 as the number I called.

Because of TV issues I have dumped my TV Service with VM at this rate I will be jumping ship totally after many years of being a Customer!

Not impressed at all....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Toony wrote:

So not only do I get charged for going over my Data Allowance unknowingly I was charged £6 for the call as on my Mobile Bill it has 08456000225 as the number I called.

Because of TV issues I have dumped my TV Service with VM at this rate I will be jumping ship totally after many years of being a Customer!

Not impressed at all....

Hi Toony,

where did you get that 0845 number from?

The free to call 789 number is widely advertised as Virgin Mobile's primary contact number.

Alternatively 150 from a Virgin landline and ask for mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone (standard rate call).

0 Kudos