Menu
Simon3
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Voicemail not working - callers are asked if they want to send me a free text message

I've just moved to Virgin mobile from Orange and have brought across both my mobile number and unlocked phone.

In theory voicemail is turned on (my online account shows that it is on, and when calling 789, the support staff think that it is on), however

1) If I don't pick up calls, then rather than going to voicemail, callers are asked if they want a free text message to be sent to me

2) My phone is permanently showing that I have a voicemail message - although when I connect to voicemail, there are no messages for me.

3) Regardless of whether I dial 222, or press and hold 1, or call +44004[mobile number without the leading 0] I always get the same set up message saying that the voice mail is now set up  with a message along the lines of 'mail box is all set up so we'll put you straight through..'

4) I keep getting the same text message saying that my voicemail number is updated every time I call voicemail.

I've called 789 to sort this out, but attempted fix made by the member of support staff (turning diverts off and then back on again?) has failed to fix the problem.

Before calling 789 again, I wondered if anyone else has come across this before.

Fingers crossed...

Thanks,

Simon

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Voicemail not working - callers are asked if they want to send me a free text message

Hi Simon3

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy and thanks for posting your query with us.

Sorry to hear you're having these issues with our voice mail.

I'd like to get this looked into for you.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) so I can gather some further details.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Simon3
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Voicemail not working - callers are asked if they want to send me a free text message RESOLVED

With help from Stephen_B and a call to tech support via 789, this issue is now resolved. Tech support had to reset diverts at Virgin's end using 2 different methods. With that done, voicemail is now working: - Callers can now leave me voice mail messages rather than being asked if they want a free text to be sent to me - When I dial into voicemail, I now go straight in, rather than going through a setup message first - The voicemail icon on my phone is now working rather than being permanently set - I no longer get a text message every time that I dial into my voice mail (trying to update the phone's voicemail number to the voicemail number that it was already using) So that's all good. Whilst trying to sort this out, I've also found out that a) if you transfer your mobile number from an old account, you can update the mobile number stored on the SIM using an iphone or blackberry. For some reason android phones don't allow this. I don't think this helped fix the issue I had, but at least the phone now shows the correct number in the settings menu. b) dialling #67# shows the network settings for your diverts So a rather long story.. but we got there in the end..
0 Kudos
natalielouise86
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Voicemail not working - callers are asked if they want to send me a free text message

I'm having the exact same problem since I got my phone last week. Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi natalielouise86,

Thanks for posting to make us aware that you're also having issues with Voicemail, I understand these kind of  issues can be frustrating.

Judging by the particular kind of issue you're having, You will need to call our technical team on 789 from a Virgin line or 0345 6000 789 from any other line and they will be able to assist you further.

Best wishes, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos