Menu
Reply
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
shadystraz360
Joining in
269 Views
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin rep lied to me

I called on the 16th May in order to activate International calls... But only to Italy.

When i spoke with the rep she told me that the price for calling the Italian number (Which I quoted to her) would cost 4p per minute.... Great. So I activated for myself and my wife...

My wife got a text today (7th June) telling her that her service has been suspended. I call Virgin to find out why. She said that the International calls have exceeded the £125 credit limit.

She confirmed to me that the price for calling the number is 4p per min... And I told her she has not racked up £120+ worth of calls, because she hasn't called that often..... after a little silence she said "oh, it's 60p per min, It's only 4p if you call while in Italy".... I was never told this previously, just that the calls to the Italian numbers are 4p per min... And also told me that one call was 20 mins which came to £18 and something pence.... Well hold on, do the math.... that is more than 60p per minute. Thats 90p per min if you round it off to £18 total.... so which is it?

I have conversations recorded to prove the first rep told me it is 4p per min... NO MENTION of 60p per min... And I have a work colleague who witnessed the conversatioon today where she repeated back that it is 4p per min.... Then after a little silence, she said "oh, it's 60p per min"... And my colleague made the calculation and said in a loud voice "sorry but 20 mins at £18 is not 60p but 90p per min"....

Well, which is it???? who has lied because NEITHER amount adds up...

I have contacted a Lawyer who is a very good friend. And i have sent contact to Richard Branson informing him of what is happening... As Virgin have lied point blank....

Oh, I also have a picture of the price online which does not say anything about being 60p per min... only 4p if I am in Italy...

No one has called me back and it is now 5:15pm....

I am taking this to social media (Facebook, Twitter etc) and I am contact the local press...

 

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3.82K
  • 899
  • 1.7K
Superuser
Superuser
258 Views
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me

Hishadystraz360,

Calling abroad (Pay Monthly) is indeed 90p per minute to Europe from the UK.

I can only assume that the Virgin representative that you spoke to thought you were enquiring about "Roaming" rates.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
shadystraz360
Joining in
245 Views
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me

Nope... Because the 1st rep told me that if I go to Italy and want to activate roaming data then I would need to call ahead of time... No mention of this being the price for when calling U.K to Italy... Just that 4p per min is the price for calling Italian numbers...

And if it is 90p per min... then why did the 2nd rep tell me it is 60p per min for calling U.K. to Italy???? I have a picture of the details from the website... There is absolutely ZERO indication that calling from U.K to Italy is 60p or 90p per min... It just says 4p per min..

So which is it??? Someone has lied and has provided false info. the 1st rep or the 2nd? because both amounts according to what you have just said are false amounts... And i have a witness to the conversation... And recorded... This is going public as I have been cheated by them ..

 

Thanks for trying though ;-)

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.46K
  • 184
  • 378
enlli
Knows their stuff
241 Views
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me

Definitely 90p to phone Italy from the UK. 

4p is the roaming charge from EU countries apart from your own and is regulated by the EU. 

One of the problems of an offshore customer services, more scope for confusion.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
shadystraz360
Joining in
231 Views
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me

Again.... the 1st rep told me that to call international numbers (Italy) it will be 4p per min... And if i want to go to Italy in order to activate Romaing data i need to contact ahead of time.... Again... NO mention of it being 90p per min to call... And she knew I was in the U.K. wanting to make the call and repeated the same thing... It is 4p per min to call Italian numbers.... never said "you have to be In italy to make the call for 4p"...

And to top it off... Calling international numbers were barred from mine and my wifes phone (even though I never requested it).. Upon which the 1st rep found it strange as this was not requested from me... So she activated it and told me the one price for calling Italian numbers... 4p per min..It's all on record

But as you are saying 90p per min, this means the 1st & 2nd rep has lied... Because the 1st says 4p... 2nd says 60p... when it's actually neither...

It's all going to the national press & Ombudsman service because as you have just so thankfully confirmed for me. Both reps have lied..

Thanks for that... highly appreciated

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 3.82K
  • 899
  • 1.7K
Superuser
Superuser
230 Views
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me


shadystraz360 wrote:

......

And if it is 90p per min... then why did the 2nd rep tell me it is 60p per min for calling U.K. to Italy???? I have a picture of the details from the website... There is absolutely ZERO indication that calling from U.K to Italy is 60p or 90p per min... It just says 4p per min..

 

Thanks for trying though ;-)


Capture.JPG

AlexKid :-)

 If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

 

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
shadystraz360
Joining in
223 Views
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me

Thanks for the pic... Still goes against what I was given and told...

(Tried to attach a pic but told me it's too large, here is the link)

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=164633&CURRENT...

This is what I was given... 4p per min... Calling Italy... PAYG... Can you see the words "you must be within the country to be charged this price"...

I can't.... so again, thanks for the confirmation... And for trying ;-)

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.46K
  • 184
  • 378
enlli
Knows their stuff
209 Views
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me

You say that the rep was surprised that international calls were barred from you phones and yet this is the default setting on all pay monthly accounts. It looks like your rep did not have a clue. 

Hope this is picked up by one of the team, but I suspect you will end up going through the official complaints procedure.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
shadystraz360
Joining in
202 Views
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me

She was.... And i asked her if there was a specific contract for making international calls... £10 for 100 mins for example.. She said and I quote "No we dont do international call contracts. It's 4p per min as a fixed rate".... I even said that being a VIP tarrif user does this change anything to it or is the price still only 4p per min. Again I quote "It's still 4p per min when making International calls".....

Problem is, my wifes phone is still suspended as they cannot change the credit limit to allow it to continue to be used... And still.....No one has called me back. So she has no phone to use. And I am still paying for its usage when she cannot use it....

After my contract runs out in October, I'm leaving Virgin for good.... Left the internet side of things cause of stupid rising prices... Now this. Sorry but it's not worth the trouble...

Worst phone service ever 2nd only to Vodafone.....

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.58K
  • 101
  • 270
Superuser
Superuser
167 Views
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin rep lied to me

Before I start - this isn't the place for getting refunds or credits to your account - that has to be done over the phone for data protection reasons.


shadystraz360 wrote:

I called on the 16th May in order to activate International calls... But only to Italy.

When i spoke with the rep she told me that the price for calling the Italian number (Which I quoted to her) would cost 4p per minute.... Great. So I activated for myself and my wife...


You've made reasonable efforts to establish the price of the calls. 4p/min is what you should pay. It doesn't matter that the charges listed online are diifferent.


shadystraz360 wrote:
I have conversations recorded to prove the first rep told me it is 4p per min... NO MENTION of 60p per min...

Brilliant. While a recording is not admissible as evidence in County Court (see below), a transcript is. If the content of a transcript is disputed, a district judge can then order the recording to be heard, but it almost never gets that far.


shadystraz360 wrote:

...And i have sent contact to Richard Branson informing him of what is happening... <snip> I am taking this to social media (Facebook, Twitter etc) and I am contact the local press...


Waste of time, and potentially very harmful to your argument if you haven't given Virgin the opportunity to put this right.

shadystraz360 wrote:
...Someone has lied and has provided false info....

...or made a mistake. People do that, sometimes. Nobody is perfect.

The fact that you have a recording means you have a strong case for a refund. The first thing to do is ring 789 and try to get your money back. The first person you speak to will almost certainly be unable to help, however you should give them the opportunity, then ask to speak to a supervisor, and be prepared for the possibility that they refuse to escalate the issue. Don't get mad - you're recording the call and may need it as evidence.

If you can't get the result you want on your first call, you may need to pay up just so the service is reinstated. This is viewed favourably during arbitration.

Then, you should contact CISAS to ask if they will take on this dispute. They may be prepared to listen to the first call recording.

Your final step would be to take the case to County Court using the small claims track. It's not expensive, IIRC it's £40 or so if you use MoneyClaimOnline. You can do it yourself, indeed you have an obligation to mitigate your costs. If you hire a solicitor you may find that you can't reclaim their costs as the track is designed to be DiY.

Don't forget that courts work on "reasonable expectations" and you appear to have satisfied that criterion. Decisions are based on "balance of probability" and the call recording will probably tip that to 100% in your favour. (Not having heard the recording, I'm only going off what you've typed.)

Finally, you are the consumer. You have rights. In the event of any ambiguity, a court will side with you rather than the company.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

0 Kudos
Reply