Menu
jasondale
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin mobile struggling to unlock iPhone 4

I've now made a total of 7 phone calls to Virgin mobile to try and get an old iphone 4 unlocked from their network. This was originally bought by my father from a Virgin media shop, and used Pay as you go on Virgin mobile.  Virgin customer services firstly referred me to apple as they didn't recognise the IMEI number ( was on Orange/EE network) , eventually they agreed to raise a missing IMEI request, then they promised an unlock code in 48 hours but no contact from virgin, when I called back I was told it would be 4/5 days for an unlock code so I requested a call back. Once again no contact from Virgin. I called again and was told 14 days, because it was with the 'back office', I complained and was assured that a manager would call me back, 3 days later no surprise that I've had no call back. How can this customer service be so poor!

Any advice about how to get Virgin to action this would be much appreciated, as I'm losing patience now and may end up paying for it to be unlocked on the high street. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mobile struggling to unlock iPhone 4

Hi jasondale

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties getting your iPhone 4 unlocked. The iPhone's sold by Virgin Mobile directly are all sold fully unlocked so they should not require an unlock code.

It's also worth noting that we did not provide the iPhone ourselves until the iPhone 4s. Was this handset provided by Virgin directly or another provider? What is the message coming up on-screen?

Many regards.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dave-B

Might help if you read the whole of the original post, the poster clearly states:

'This was originally bought by my father from a Virgin media shop, and used Pay as you go on Virgin mobile.'

So appears that Virgin were the 'original' point of sale, and not  'A. N. Other

Virgin therefore are responsible for the phone, though, it may appear that Apple 'sim free' phones still 'lock' themselves to the first network they are used on, irrespective of 'supposedly' being unlocked/carrier free' 

But then again, that's Apple for you...expensive rubbish..(backhand crippling by doing this sneaky 'trick')

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dave_B said
"The iPhone's sold by Virgin Mobile directly are all sold fully unlocked so they should not require an unlock code."

Virgin supply "sim free" iPhone's, these lock to the first network sim inserted, fully unlocked iPhone's are only available from Apple direct.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
jasondale
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Apologies this is an iPhone 4s not a 4, but it was indeed bought in a Virgin store with Virgin Mobile sim fitted, we have the paperwork, and was and is still locked to the same network which Virgin seem incapable of unlocking it from. As virgin don't have their own network they must unlock other phones all the time, so struggling to understand what is so difficult about this request.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi jasondale

Some providers provide SIM-free iPhone's which are unlocked but then lock to the first network SIM used with them. Typically these can be unlocked by inserting the SIM required, connecting them up to iTunes and re-configuring the carrier settings.

If this doesn't unlock the handset then in most cases the provider can provide an unlock code. As always though, if there are any further difficulties please give our team a ring.

The iPhone's provided by Virgin Mobile directly are sold as fully unlocked handsets as they are provided to us directly by Apple. We don't provide unlock codes for our iPhone's as a result. I'd like to take a closer look at your account and see if I can shed some light on this situation. I've sent you a private message which you can view by clicking on the envelope in the top right.

Many regards.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To the forum reps talking about an unlock code for iPhones, there is no such thing.

The phone is locked OTA by Apple and unlocked OTA when the original Nework informs Apple to do so.

0 Kudos