Menu
CarolineR1
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin mobile - new sim only

Hi

I have bought a sim only contract for my son who is at uni and got a pac code from his existing supplier ee.  Unfortunately, i don't think i'm going to see my son before the pac code of 30 days runs out and obviously i want to avoid incurring any further charges with ee.  My question is would i be able to activate the virgin sim and do the number transfer on my own handset, and then put my old sim back in my phone and give the new activated sim to my son when i see him?

thanks!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mobile - new sim only

Hi CarolineR1,

yes you could Smiley Happy

Here is a handy guide from Virgin: Keeping your number

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
CarolineR1
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thank you for your reply.  My son came home at the weekend and we were able to put the new sim in the handset, and make the call to virgin to transfer the number, which we were told would be today, however, my son had a text yesterday to say the transfer has been complete.

Now though he says he's unable to take or make calls when he's not on wifi.  Also, he says the sim is locked everytime he switches the phone off.  Is there anyway to override this.

The phone was previously on a t-mobile contract.  Would this make any difference?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi CarolineR1,

WiFi has no bearing on the making or receiving of calls (unless using a third party app such as FaceTime or WhatsApp).

Perhaps the number transfer is to blame here. I would advise rebooting the phone, if he is still unable to make/receive calls then use another phone to contact customer services 789 / 0345 6000 789.

With regard to the SIM lock, that's a security feature on the new 4G SIM's: What is my SIM Unlock PIN?

It can be turned off in the phones settings.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
CarolineR1
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I did tell him wifi wouldn't matter...but what would i know eh?

Ok, we will wait and see if things change today as it was the original date they gave for the transfer.  i will advise him re the settings to turn of pin lock.

Thanks for the advice so far Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi CarolineR1, 

I am sorry to hear that your son isn’t able to use his device properly since you ported into us, it sounds like you have 2 things going on at the one time. The issue with the handset not being able to make or receive calls unless the Wi-Fi is on sounds like software issue, however the port could also be to blame for the lack of service. 

My best advice on this one would be to call in, you can call 789 from a virgin mobile or 150 from a virgin landline or the full number to call is 0345 6000 789. 

Take care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
CarolineR1
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi
When you say problem with the port do you mean with porting the number?
I can call but I don't have access to the phone as my son lives away. Can he call or does it need to be the account holder?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey CarolineR1, 

I am going to send you a private message, to pick this up please click on the envelope on the top right hand corner of the page.

Chat to you soon, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos