Menu
Jinty77
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin mobile abroad problems

Hi, 

I'm in France at the moment, and my Virgin mobile is not able to make or receive calls. I've turned on roaming in my account, and been into my (android) phone's settings and turned on data roaming, and have gone into Mobile Networks/network operators where I can see 4 local operators (including F SFR and Orange F).

But when I try to connect to any of these operators the phone says "registering on Orange F" and a few seconds later "cannot connect to this network at the moment. Please try later". I've tried all of them several times.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin mobile abroad problems

Hi Jinty77,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting on the Forum. I'm sorry that your roaming service isn't working in France. 

I've checked this for you and can see a problem. I've reset roaming for you, please reboot your phone and retry.

If you are still experiencing problems, please see the following post: 

HELP GUIDE - Mobile Data Roaming for Pay Monthly / SIMO Customers

If you have done all the checks suggested here, and still having an issue, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Jinty77
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response Terri_P

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jinty77,

Thanks for getting back to me. Give us a shout the next time you go abroad and we can double check everything on this side of things to make sure your roaming service works.

Many thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
LeighG1
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri,

We have a similar (but different problem) to Jinty, with my father's Virgin mobile phone.  He has had a monthly direct debit arrangement with Virgin for over 10 years with no problems when travelling abroad until last September.  He does not use a smartphone, has no data requirements, just voice and text.

In September his mobile phone number became known to some overseas fraudsters, so we asked Virgin to allocate him a new number which you kindly did and sent him a new SIM.  The SIM worked as soon as we activated it in the UK.  Since that time he has travelled in Europe three times and each time his phone refuses to find a network and shows 'emergency calls only'.  We have spoken to the Virgin call centre countless times without success, they assure us that his account is set up for roaming just as it always has been.  We checked the phone is correctly set for automatic network selection and spoke to the phone manufacturer (Doro), and we have tried the SIM in a second phone (Samsung) with exactly the same results, so we are convinced there may be a SIM issue stopping the phone from connecting to a network when overseas.  Is this possible?  Should we ask Virgin for a new SIM with the same number?  Any other advice?  He is frustrated and wants to leave Virgin, so you are our last hope.

Leigh

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi LeighG1,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to read about the issues your Father has had with his mobile.

May I ask if I can take a look into this for you?

I will send you a PM shortly with some further details.

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Liam_T
Forum Team

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
LeighG1
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help Liam.  Via the PM's you identified that his new SIM had a profile error that you were able to correct immediately, and he is now fully roaming while abroad and rang us yesterday.  You provided great service via this forum, but it's a shame the helpline staff could not identify the fault when given the same information that you had (4 or 5 times in the last 4 months!).

Thanks again.

Leigh

0 Kudos
LeighG1
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I hope Liam is still available to look into this same issue again.  We were so successful in solving the problems back in January, but Virgin sent my elderly father a new SIM last month (4G perhaps) saying he must use it.  I did the SIM transfer myself, activated the SIM and it works fine in the UK.  But he has now travelled to France and Eire and the phone will not take or make calls - just like before!!!  Therefore I suspect that the 'profile' put on to the new SIM was the old profile before Liam corrected it in January.  This problem needs urgent attention, he is an 86 year old with poor health and without mobile phone access again.  We are having to make expensive arrangements to stay in contact with him at times when he is near a landline.

Please investigate his profile urgently.

Leigh

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi LeighG1,

I'm sorry to hear that your father is experiencing a problem again with his roaming service. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi LeighG1,

Thank you for sending the requested details via PM. Roaming has now been reset for your father. It can take up to 24 hours for this to update on the network.

Just have your father reboot the handset and retry.

Please let me know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos