Menu
kev240
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin have lost my number

I moved my mobile phone provider to Virgin mobile for mine and my wifes phone. My phone has been used as a business and social phone for the last 15 years so keeping the number the same was important to me. After moving the numbers over giving the correct information to Virgin I now have my wifes number and my business number has now been deleted for good.  I am a sole trading electrician who relies on this number, as well as affecting my business I have additional costs for example business cards, van sign writing. They have admitted it was their mistake as the operator who dealt with it had bypassed an error warning on the account.

My case has gone to Virgin head office but I have already been told that there is nothing I can do as the phone number was not a business phone number.  The new contract I have taken out with them is not a business contract and they said if it was business losses could be compensated for. The person I was dealing with then offered me £30 for my trouble. Obviously I said No. Would appreciate some advice on this please. And has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin have lost my number

Your phone number is your property. This is why OFCOM allows you to demand a PAC so you can keep your number when changing providers and there are very few reasons for your provider to refuse to give it.

If you are running a business on a Virgin consumer tariff, Virgin are able to take other steps to establish whether you should be paying a business tariff and whether you owe them money for using a consumer tariff for business purposes, but they are not able to hold your number for ransom.

The PAC has to be used within 30 days otherwise the number reverts to the old supplier. Have you tried contacting them to get a new PAC?

0 Kudos
kev240
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The way it went was, got 2 new virgin sims, had 2 existing  O2 numbers which I wanted to keep. Got pac code for my number got it changed over all fine I had my old number with virgin.

A few days later got another pac code for my wifes number, phoned virgin with the temporary virgin number on the sim, old O2 number I wanted to keep and the pac code.  Thats when virgin cocked up, I ended up with my wifes O2 number and my number was deleted and cant be recovered.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This needs to be escalated above the people on the 789 number - If they can't even get a number port right in the first place, they simply aren't going to manage the technicalities of recovering from the mistake. This sounds like it's Virgin's mistake and they need to put it right - maybe the @ForumTeam can suggest the next step?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev240,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear that you've lost the number. I want to get this all sorted for you. Are you able to PM me the number in question, the PAC code and the number you had on the Virgin sim originally.

You can do this by clicking on the image of my face and selecting the send me a message option on the right hand side.

Let me know once you've sent this over.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
kev240
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have sent you a pm Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for seding that over Kev240 Smiley Happy

I'll be in touch as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
steviedouble-u
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same problem. I added an existing phone to my account. I received a temporary SIM while the PAC code was being obtained. I then telephoned 789 to port the old number over the temporary SIM but instead they ported over my number of over 20 years! My number too was not a business contract so 'there was nothing they could do'. My argument to that is that I was never asked if I used my phone for business nor offered the opportunity of a business contract, when I ported my number in July last year. I was offered a so-called Golden Number as a replacement, which, I might add, I'm still waiting for 48 hours after this colossal error on their part. This doesn't really benefit me as I'd much rather just have my number back. I now have the onerous task of visiting all 400 plus contacts to find the ones I can inform by text, and then deciding on a course of action with the landline numbers..The compensation offer does not even begin the cost in terms of my time, lost job opportunities perhaps, business etc., The real point, though, is that it is plain that Virgin have not learned from earlier experiences (my Virgin contact confirmed that I am not the first customer to lose my number in this way.) Instead of just throwing relatively small amounts of money at the problem, and incurring considerable customer dissatisfaction and hardship which will inevitably lead to bad publicity, how about introducing a 24 hour delay from porting a number to letting the other one go ? Simple, I would have thought

0 Kudos
kev240
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have just cancelled my 2 contracts with Virgin, was considering adding my kids phones to, but thought better of it, going over to BT with all 4 now. They also must have CISAS in their pockets because I have basically been stone walled by them to!! As if I am going to take Virgin to court. I have been in touch with BBC Watchdog just waiting for a response off them. Good luck but don't hold your breath!!

0 Kudos
steviedouble-u
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. I'll keep you posted. I STILL haven't got a permanent number - 48 hours after their colossal error. I phoned 789 and got through to Manila (Philippines). I asked for my contact with his ID having been told I'd be put straight through. She refused to do this without a full explanation as tow what it was about. When I told her it was too involved she cut me off ! The second attempt was more successful. She managed to agree to email him. Now I'm waiting for a call between 1300 and 1400 hrs. It occurs to me that if my phone number is my property, what gives Virgin the right to destroy it without my permission ? Ok they'll argue that by porting a number across, I am by default giving them that permission but I was quite clear in front of two witnesses, which number was to be written over (i.e the temporary one). I even read it out to him. In the end it's the same old thing about the law - once you resort to it, you've lost the case - so I'll end up settling for the best I can get, although I just know it will be far short of the value of my old number, which I'd just rather have back. I'll keep you posted in this forum, any way, and thank you for replying to my email to you

0 Kudos