Menu
blankcanvas67
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin data speeds

Why is there such a big difference in virgin mobile data speeds compared to ee mobile data speeds when tested on both ee masts clearly visible at a distance of 0.3 of a mile away from them yet virgin say there are no problems in my area and I should get simular speeds as ee network? Virgin download data speed 2.2mbps ee download data speed 13.01mbps measured by ookla.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin data speeds

It's a quality of service issue, EE customers have no restriction lots of Virgin users do, they deny it but it started way back with basic 3G older customers seemed to get lower speeds than newer customers, there was a long thread about it in the old forum but that's not available to us now. I have the same issue and raised it again this week, they tried to fob me off saying 4G is due in October, but I insisted they raise it as an issue.

take 5 reading over a 12 hour period from you home, and 3 from a diferent postcode log the times, call in choose phone issue and try to get to tech, I expect no great joy, but if they admit it's poor you can ask for a contract cancellation .( after EE check it out and depending on the result of course).

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media is currently a 3G network whereas EE are a 4G network, so there will be a difference in data speeds.

Virgin Media haven't yet confirmed when they'll launch 4G, but I'd expect it is purely a case of when it happens rather than if it happens.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
blankcanvas67
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

But that shouldn't make any difference when the device I'm using isn't 4G and connecting to both networks on 3G only.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's a quality of service issue, EE customers have no restriction lots of Virgin users do, they deny it but it started way back with basic 3G older customers seemed to get lower speeds than newer customers, there was a long thread about it in the old forum but that's not available to us now. I have the same issue and raised it again this week, they tried to fob me off saying 4G is due in October, but I insisted they raise it as an issue.

take 5 reading over a 12 hour period from you home, and 3 from a diferent postcode log the times, call in choose phone issue and try to get to tech, I expect no great joy, but if they admit it's poor you can ask for a contract cancellation .( after EE check it out and depending on the result of course).

0 Kudos
blankcanvas67
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes have done all that taken 3 readings off closest mast to my home inside and out taken 2 from second mast other side of town and 2 from mast in next town 5 in my town all show roughly the same other 2 next town slightly faster on virgin but using same device with ee sim readings considerable faster contacted tech they said the couldn't see why that was and tried the old we use 3G where as ee use 4G when I said my device isn't a 4G he said he would log it with ee and let me know the out come, emailed me back next day saying ee found now problems in my area.
So that must prove that virgin are throttling there service back.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Maybe virgin not throttling, but the contract with EE is not for the full 3G+ bandwidth, something we'll have difficulty proving

0 Kudos
blankcanvas67
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have had this problem before about a year ago and after many calls to tech I finally got to speak to a guy that was understanding and spent nearly a week chasing ee about it and calling me to inform me of the progress, after about a week with no explanation I started to get nearly double the speed I was getting on virgin but the tech guy said they hadn't done anything and ee denied they had done anything,
mysteries happen now again I'm back to a slow speed, my nearest mast is clear site to me inside and out around quarter of a mile away yet no difference in speed inside or out.
Virgin need to come clean and tell there customers the truth as tech told me 4G isn't on the horizon in the near future.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ispreview.co.uk

0 Kudos