Menu
jenredmon999
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin cannot resolve issues with my data roaming in Spain after multiple trips, worked in Toronto..

I have an iPhone 5C and after 8 trips to Spain and 8 calls to tech services, my data roaming is still not working. I got a new iphone, a new SIM, have turned on roaming before travelling, purchase a data package, etc and still nothing.

I went to Spain last month with new iphone and new SIM and it worked, which cost me £90, but then went to Malaga the following month and it did not work there. Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? Is there an APN I need to enter for Spain, it's roaming on Orange automatically but I tried Vodafone and a couple of other networks and had the same issue. 

The error message is: "Could not activate mobile data network. You are not subscribed to a mobile data service.

When I try to send an email the error message is: "The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.gmail.com" failed. Additional outgoing mail servers can be configured in Settings > Mail, contacts , calendars.

It all works fine on wifi.

Please help as I have a flat in Spain and am going there this Friday for 2 weeks! 

Thanks very much.

Best,

Jen

0 Kudos
jenredmon999
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cannot resolve issues with my data roaming in Spain after multiple trips, worked in Toronto..

Actually it's an iPhone 5S if that makes any difference....

0 Kudos
Russl
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cannot resolve issues with my data roaming in Spain after multiple trips, worked in Toronto..

Whenever I go abroad I get a local Sim, its normally a lot cheaper then I just use social media to let my Real friends know about the new and temporary number

Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cannot resolve issues with my data roaming in Spain after multiple trips, worked in To...

Hi jenredmon999,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry t hear your having difficulties using data abroad.

I'd like to help you get this sorted.

Sometimes you may just experience issues with the local carrier you are connected with.

Have you purchased the data pass?

Here's a link to our data pass help page. You can check the pass is active by texting STATUS to 23456.

If the pass is active and you can roam it may just be an issue with the carrier like I mentioned. If you are still experiencing issues you would need to call our mobile team on +44345 6000 789 when abroad.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jenredmon999
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen_B,
Thanks for your reply. I did purchase a data package and have checked the status and that's all fine. What kind of problem could there be with the carrier? When roaming on automatic the carrier is Orange, however when on manual I can also roam on 2 other carriers and I get the same error message.

Before I travelled this time Virgin deleted my data profile and re activated it, and assured me that this would fix the problem, which it did not. The error message is different now however, it just says you have no connection to the Internet, for automatic and manual roaming. I really don't want to call the service team again as the last time I did it was a very expensive call with no results. Is there a toll free number from Spain as I am there now?
Best,

Jen
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin cannot resolve issues with my data roaming in Spain after multiple trips, worked in To...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for getting back to me.

You've kind of answered the question of it being the carrier by manually connecting to the other available networks and data still not working.

The only thing I can think of left to check would be that data roaming is active on your handset. Here is a link to a handset guide for you. Select your handset and follow the guide for activating data roaming.

There isn't a toll free number to call our mobile team the number our team are available on is +44345 6000 789.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

I didn't hear back from you.

Was wondering if you managed to get the data roaming working.

Let me know if you need anything

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Again no solution for customer and no acknowledgment that the text number for travel passes and help number have been down for days. What is going on?