Menu
angelwings
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin SIM to an unlocked i Phone 5c?

Hello

I want to buy my son a surprise Apple i phone 5C which says its unlocked. Can he put his Virgin SIM card in the i phone, still keep his number, and use all its services? I've read some chatter about micro sim cards but I dont think his Samsung Virgin phone has a micro SIM, I think he just has a standard size SIM. I dont want to waste my money but would love to surprise him! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin SIM to an unlocked i Phone 5c?

Hi angelwings,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

That would be a lovely surprise! If the iPhone is unlocked, it'll work with our sim inside it. With regards to finding out the sim inside the Samsung, can you let me know the model of phone and I can let you know if you need to change sims. If the sim size is different, you'll be able to ask for a self activation sim from us that you can use inside the iPhone.

Let me know as soon as you can Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
biggles1
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How can my wife get a replacement self activation sim for her new Iphone 5c and can she retain her current mobile number?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Biggles1,

This is very easy! Give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we can order this for you as soon as possible.

She'll definitely be able to retain her current number.

Give us a call and let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Biggles1,

How did you get on with calling us regarding the sim?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
biggles1
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

My wife is away until Sunday and I don't want her to lose her mobile service on her existing sim. The phone is a surprise present so don't want to make her aware of the switch.

I will call the number today and ask how to proceed.

Many thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
biggles1
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat,

I spoke to someone on the number you gave me and the upshot is my wife can't keep her old number on the new sim as that can only happen if switching from another provider. This doesn't sound right to me as I am on a Tesco Mobile contract and they gave me a new nano sim free of charge with my old number transferred to it no problem.

Have I been given correct information? It looks as though my wife will have to switch to a new provider to keep her old number.

Many thanks.

Paul

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Biggles1

Im rather confused why you was told you cannot keep your old number if its with Virgin already and you just want a sim replacement?

A SIM replacement would be the same number Smiley Frustrated

SIM replacements are done as self activated , which means the old SIM would be active until the new one is activated and then the old SIM stops so she WILL retain full services until you are ready

You may have to pay for delivery of the sim card if sent out by YODEL , 24 hour service.
The charge for this delivery is £2.99

I would call us on 789 and ask for the replacement as you may run out of time to get the SIM for tomorrow

Delivery by YODEL is 7am - 9pm and this WOULD have to be signed for .

standard delivery by royal mail is 3-5 working days with no signing , however, I wouldn't be able to guarantee you would get this before Christmas

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
biggles1
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee, that sounds good, the guy I spoke to was not easy to understand and we kept going in circles. He told me the password I gave him for my wife's account was wrong but I can log on with it so not sure what he was looking at.

Will call 789 again and hope to get someone who can help.

Many thanks

Paul

0 Kudos