Menu
Ayjcee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile service almost non-existent at home

Since 29 May, my Virgin Mobile service has been almost non-existent.  Data service has always been poor but voice was always reliable until then (which is exactly what the Virgin post code checker says).  I am in Gloucestershire, GL2 7 postcode area.  Virgin do NOT report any issues and, yes, my bill have all been paid.  If this problem persists, I will have no option but to change mobile provider.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Mobile service almost non-existent at home

Hi Ayjcee,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear your Virgin Mobile service has been non existent.

I have checked your area for any faults and nothing is listed at the moment as you have mentioned.

What do the signal bars show on your mobile?

Could I ask what you have tried with the phone so far. For example have you attempted soft reboot ( removing the battery while the phone is on ).

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Many thanks 

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Ayjcee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the response.

It's interesting that you say that there are no faults in my area because I spoke with one of your UK customer service people yesterday (Laura but I will not give her full name on a public forum) who told me that there was some work going on and that things should be back to normal this afternoon (BUT it is not as I type this!).

Answers as follows: 

• Most of the time I get no signal bars and thus no service.  A weak service (1 - 2 bars) kicks in every now and then but goes again.

• I have re-booted the phone to no effect.  In any event, my wife has also got the same issues with the signal (or lack of it).

To repeat - everything was OK until last Friday when things went down hill.

Any comments or advice please?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ayjcee,

Thanks for the information.

There may have been a fault listed at the time you called but currently one is not open for your area. 

I would like to look into this further for you. I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope top left hand side) asking for some details.

Speak soon

Cheers

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ayjcee,

Thanks for the details via PM.

I have run a few checks on the system for you. You have one cell in your area and this is set a 2G cell. The phone maybe experiencing trouble obtaining signal as it is still looking for 3G.

A solution for this would be to set your phone to look for 2G which will improve the signal. If you are not sure how this is achieved simply call 789 from your mobile where one of our colleagues on the Mobile Tech team will be able get this sorted for you.

Hope this helps.

Let us know how you get on.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos
Ayjcee
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It seem that my phone (a 1st gen Moto G running Android 5.0.2) can only be set to 3G under 'Preferred Network Settings' - there are no other options (ie.you cannot toggle to anything else).

At the risk of repeating myself, everything was fine until last Friday and nothing has changed in my phone (nor my wifes phone which is out of the area a lot hence you did not 'see it').  Therefore, I can only conclude that there is something else going on, probably with the network - I turned the phone on this morning to get 'Emergency Calls Only' and the signal has drifted in and out since then

0 Kudos
dave_dph
Superfast
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like you may be a victim of EE's mast decommissioning program!

Just under two years ago, mom got her T-Mobile contract terminated after EE switched off the local Orange 3G transmitter, resulting in her only receiving a very weak 2G/3G T-Mobile signal at home.

0 Kudos
Nowtv
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The service has gone down since EE took over.

0 Kudos
Ayjcee
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well it's been 3 weeks since my problems started and, despite promises from Virgin, things have not improved.  I am getting either 'No Service' or 'Emergency Calls Only' more often than I am getting even a weak signal and am now, frankly, fed up with the whole situation and disappointed with Virgin who do not seem capable of acknowledging that a problem even exists.  In any event, I suspect that any solution is well out of their hands as the actual provider is EE who are obviously providing a sub-standard service.

I am beginning to feel that I am out of options and will have to ask for a PAC to take both my and my wife's number to another provider.

Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ayjcee, 

Thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear your still experiencing issues with coverage. Appreciate this is frustrating.

Did you manage to call our Mobile tech team to get some settings on the phone adjusted to look for 2G as I suggested?

Speak soon.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

0 Kudos