Menu
Highlighted
cfipro
On our wavelength
Message 191 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Mobile and 4G

Yep...

That is more or less what I was "told" when taking out offer, "double data", which ended 26th octobre...

We have 4 virgin mobile contract at home (1 account holder), I was quite easily "offered" 5000mins with 5gb of data for £10/ months.

When asking about 4G, she said : we are definitely working on it. It is for very soon, but said basically: new contract...new (higher!?!)price.

Obviously, lady said there is NOTHING official just give us a call when available...what was the point of this "double data" offer if we need new contract with higher price to "enjoy" 4g on virgin mobiles. ALSO, when reading the help 4g section in m.virginecare.com, it says new 4g sim card is required ?!?! am I reading correctly? In other word, current existing customers would NOT get "automatically" the 4G upgrade, as new sim card is required.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 192 of 242
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi all

I'm happy to let you know that we're now offering 4GMan Happy

You can find out more about this by clicking the [4G announcement post] in our news section.

Link: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/NoCompetition-4G-fast-mobile-is-here/ba-p/3250169

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Darkstar1337
On our wavelength
Message 193 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Pricing isn't that competitive when compared with other virtual networks or say Three and no discount for existing VM customers, I'll stick with Three

0 Kudos
Cerberus_256
On our wavelength
Message 194 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Well holy ballbags Craig! Thou shalt smite me down with a fist-full of 4G in the eye. Bet you're pleased to make that announcement (finally). Only a week late Smiley Wink C
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 195 of 242
Flag for a moderator

What a laugh!!

'no competition' 4G fast mobile is here......

No competition?? have VM looked at what others are offering?? Better deals, and MORE OF THEM, rather than the miserable selection on offer!!

I can only assume that they are referring to the fact that there 4G is 'no competition' to the other providers of 4G!!  Smiley Tongue

PS, '3' DON'T CHARGE EXTRA for their 4G either....

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 196 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Hugh, this gimped 25 Mbps service (realistic max of 20 Mbps) is worse that I'd hoped for.
Three tiers of 4G from EE and you've guessed it Virgin only have the basic one oh dear oh dear oh dear

I live in Chippenham and EE offer all three tiers here, my EE sim can receive over 32 Mbps and send at over 16, that's jus driving around town in the car with my wife running Speedtest
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 197 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Apart from running speedtests. what is 70Mbps 4g for?
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 198 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Streaming videos, uploading photos to my cloud account (I can stream from my DLSR to the phone to my cloud)

The other point is that my 3G virgin connection never passed 5Mbps taking to long to stream down and the upload speed averaged at 0.75 far to slow to upload photos of about 13 Mb each
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 199 of 242
Flag for a moderator

J0hn wrote:
Hugh, this gimped 25 Mbps service (realistic max of 20 Mbps) is worse that I'd hoped for.
Three tiers of 4G from EE and you've guessed it Virgin only have the basic one oh dear oh dear oh dear

I live in Chippenham and EE offer all three tiers here, my EE sim can receive over 32 Mbps and send at over 16, that's jus driving around town in the car with my wife running Speedtest

John, I think your hopes were set to high, lol

Virgin Mobile has always been run as a basic service with a reasonable price tag to match, their new 4g plans are no different. What they have managed to get at those prices on a 30 day contract is pretty good as I see it.

Examples: EE 30 day contracts are all capped at 20Mbps, also the same for their cheapest 12 month contracts.  BT Sims are all 12 month contracts and capped at 30 Mbps, extra speed to 60Mbps available at a £4 monthly extra charge.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
JamesRoberts330
On our wavelength
Message 200 of 242
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am sorry to be a bit daft lke just wanted to ask if anyone else with an iPhone is getting LTE instead of 4G in the signal bar? I have tried my 4G ready SIM card in my current iPhone 6S and my old iPhone 5S and 4G will not show at all, I have tried rebooting both devices, removing the SIM, resetting the network settings and still no prevail and both devices keep connecting to a LTE network instead of 4G. When my Vodafone SIM is in both devices 4G works fine and displays in the signal bar.

If this is correct and my phone/s and SIM are working correctly I apologise.

Thanks

James

0 Kudos